Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Those of you who have cut up shirts for a quilt... >
  • Those of you who have cut up shirts for a quilt...

• Those of you who have cut up shirts for a quilt...

Old 02-02-2014, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    Well, there is the ever popular 7 shirt quilt:
    http://thethriftyquilter.blogspot.co...e-thrifty.html

I went overboard and bought dozens and dozens (and dozens). Then I couldn't figure out what to do with them, so I finally cut them all into charm squares. A short sleeved men's shirt will yield at least 30. For my quilts, I used at least 20 different, but I like scrappy. Here's a few that I did. Still have lots of charms left over!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t153884.html
    Wow! Sure was worth all the work!!
    Old 02-03-2014, 03:20 PM

Just an additional thought: Not all the shirts I got from my MIL were 100% cotton, but they were all a similar weight. Because they had all been washed (many times!) there was no shrinkage and they "played well together" in the quilt. I won't be so concerned in the future if I include a poly or a blend in a "shirt" quilt. It does work. Just be sure they are washable. I might even consider using a washable wool if it's the right weight.

Hmm, how about a crazy quilt with shirt fabrics of heavy flannel, washable wool, cottons, polyesters, etc? That might be fun! Well, maybe if I ever get all the other ones IMM (in my mind) done, that is!
    Old 02-03-2014, 03:41 PM
    Power Poster

Don't forget ladies plus-size shirts and skirts! If you have shirts at home prior to cutting lay them on a bed or floor next to each other. Cross the sleeves across the chest. See how many shirts it would take for the top. That will give you an idea for the number you will need. The sleeves and tails will be extra material. I always go for as many xx as I can. Just don't forget the ladies plus sizes. Gathered cotton skirts have lots of material.
    Old 02-03-2014, 03:42 PM

I had 40 cotton shirts to work with (gifts from my brothers) and I easily managed a queen sized quilt out of those, with plenty of fabric left over to cut into strips and squares. That was for the top. I used a good quality muslin for the backing. If you're going to use shirts for the backing, you'd have to double whatever number of shirts you decide is right. I'll bet I could have made that quilt with 35 shirts and still had fabric left over.
    Old 05-04-2014, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts
    you can get 1/2-3/4 yard out of a small mans shirts, but save time and go straight to the xxl sizes. 2+ yards per shirt! You don't need very many shirts to end up with plenty and more for a quilt, the problem is getting variety without ending up with a house full of someone else's used shirts.

I had so much trouble finding all cotton ones I picked up 3 poly/cotton ones, Eeuuu do not like that fabric to work with at all. Even starched it doesn't keep its shape well it felt chintzy to my hand.
    I ended up with a couple poly/cotton blends, too, before I got more choosy. I apply fusible sheer weight stabilizer to the backs of them and that makes them better to work with. They keep their shape that way.