Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • To those of you who sew and don't work. >
  • To those of you who sew and don't work.

• To those of you who sew and don't work.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:01 AM

I try to do a little sewing each day, but I take a day off here & there if I'm not feeling up to it. I'm disabled and have arthritis head to foot so some days, (rain or chilly) I can barely move, let alone sew. I just continue to choose a wide variety of projects & keep going as I can. Quilting keeps my nerve-endings from jangling non-stop. I like being productive. Finishing projects is the icing on the cakes so to speak. Family all clamors for whatever I make, so there's not been a problem finding homes for the stuff. The problem is in trying to get time to make stuff for us!! :-)
    Old 06-04-2013, 04:36 AM

I retired so I could do what I wanted to do and I treat sewing and quilting the same way. I love to do it when I want to do it and if something else comes up, it's okay if I don't sew for a while. My machine will patiently wait for me.
    Old 06-04-2013, 04:38 AM
    Power Poster

One should never feel guilty about sewing or not. I learned a long time ago not to invest in tickets for guilt trips. They have never been worth the money or time spent. There's always a side trip to the doctors office in the end if you buy one!
    Old 06-04-2013, 05:05 AM
    Power Poster

I sew when I have time...Since Spring I have no time to sew...I have to do all the yard work and care for the garden and all my many plants in the flower beds..I have 17 rose bushes that I try to dead head at least once a month as well as prune the shrubs and bushes..Once winter comes I will have my new sewing room done and hopefully I will have more time...It is not true that once you are retired you have all the time in the world. It seems like there is not enough hours in a day...I don't know how I ever had time to work..
    Old 06-04-2013, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    Sympathy for the RA. I have plain ole arthur. But 2 hours is about my limit for one sitting. A short rest and I can come back---------if I don't get sidetracked.
    This sounds like me!!! I have Arthur and need two knee replacements and have fibro. Not whining its just a fact that as we have ailments we can't sit in one position for two long a time. But I work hard during those times I can sit!! LOL
    Old 06-04-2013, 05:38 AM

Red face sewing and quilting---

Originally Posted by tessagin
    One should never feel guilty about sewing or not. I learned a long time ago not to invest in tickets for guilt trips. They have never been worth the money or time spent. There's always a side trip to the doctors office in the end if you buy one!
    I agree--never feel guilty about sewing! I have sewed all my life and will keep going with more! I belong to a guild and love it. My husband is deceased and I have grandchildren I sew for here and there and also crochet and quilt. I love it and do more some days than others. I get on this board every day (sometimes more often) just to read and keep up with what is new, going ons, etc, etc. LOVE every minute of it! Recently made a bunch of those knitted or crocheted scarves, sold some, gave away bunches and still have some. Anybody interested? Love those.
    I have my computer and desk and a tv all in my sewing room and it is my "heaven". Also have taught sewing and quilting to several friends and shared ideas, etc. enjoy it so much. I do rotate from one project to another. Marilyn
    Old 06-04-2013, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by crafty pat
    I wish i could sew for longer time,but with RA the pain starts getting bad after two or three hours. I used to sew all day and have to force myself to stop, oh for the good old day's.
    Getting old is NOT for the weak, that is for sure. And I sure don't like it at all. I agree, for the good old days.
    Old 06-04-2013, 06:36 AM

I have reached a bad burnout-can not get motivated at all.
    Old 06-04-2013, 07:58 AM

I sew and still work full time ... I get frustrated because work saps my energy now and I can't sew like I used to. Used to be able to sew into the wee hours on weekends, and at retreats ... now I fall asleep at the machine ! Guess it's called getting older ... LOL, but not so funny ...
    Looking forward to retirement when DH does in the next couple of yrs - but wonder if I'll ever have the time for quilting that I've envisioned ... ??
    Old 06-04-2013, 09:48 AM

I recently retired from a very demanding occupation. Now that I have the time, I love being able to do some quilt project each day, but I couldn't sit at a machine all the time. Sometimes I hand piece or some other hand work. I mix it up.