Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • To those of you who sew and don't work. >
  • To those of you who sew and don't work.

• To those of you who sew and don't work.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:53 AM

TerryQuilter - I'm just like you (although I do work full-time too).
    Old 06-04-2013, 11:48 AM

I am retired but also disabled. I sew every other day for about 6 to 8 hours, on average. My sewing room is downstairs and has a bathroom next to it, so that's good, but when my body isn't cooperating, I can't go down there. Haven't talked hubby into a stair lift yet. A month ago, I got a herniated disc in my back and haven't been there since. However, a friend brought one machine and some supplies up, and I've been making string quilt blocks at the kitchen table an hour here and there. The colors are a bit weird since I have limited access to my fabric now, but I think a homeless person will be glad to have it. Even when I can't go downstairs to sew, I have quilt books and magazines upstairs and can plan quilts. I also check this board pretty much daily.

In case you are wondering, my output is usually 30 to 65 mostly adult-sized quilts per year, mostly for homeless families, and a couple things for me. I quilt about half of them on the machine; the rest are tied. I sometimes make clothing also. I save the precision quilting for when I'm feeling bad; that's when I do string quilts. When I get back from the Vermont Quilt Festival, a friend and I will be making blocks from a coordinated stash we have been collecting. We will be keeping these quilts for ourselves. I'm taking a class with Sue Nickels to learn to do feather quilting at VQF to use in these quilts. I'm looking forward to that. I also do art quilts and just completed one recently. Lucky me, I also get to take a class with Nancy Prince regarding thread painting, and will use that knowledge in art quilts and clothing.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 06-04-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    Old 06-04-2013, 01:05 PM

I was quite burned out for awhile, too....and I don't think I was even that productive! But now, as I've said before on this board, I'm making myself finish tops before letting myself start something new, and somehow that's started the juices flowing again. Much of it is drudge work -- the sandwiching, for instance -- but it's a different mindset and I'm so glad to see things finished, as in quilted, bound, done!
    Old 06-04-2013, 04:07 PM

I only sew on a quilt when I want to and never every day. Sometimes I get completely burned out and don't do it for weeks. Quilting should be fun and if you are tired of it you need other hobbies. I have several: gardening around my patio, watching the birds and squirrels, writing family memories, volunteering at a history center and reading good books...oh yes also taking classes for older folks at the State College and breakfasting with friends. But I am lucky I live alone with my cat and have long conversations with her so enjoy playing at quilting and giving away my bed sized quilts. variety is the fun of being 87. Quilting is not my sole occupation so it's fun.
    Old 06-04-2013, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by franc36
    I try to treat sewing as my job; but I end up having to run errands, go to exercise, do housework, etc. I guess I'm just a part time sewer. That's why I end up doing some sewing on weekends. The way I have kept from burning out is that I work on so many different things, e.g., in the mornings, I work on FMQ, in the afternoons, I work on piecing, and at night I do handwork such as hand appliqué, Redwork embroidery, or repairing a 50 year old quilt. If I am tired of doing one thing in quilting, I can choose to do another quilting project.
    That plan sounds like heaven to me. Can't wait to retire!
    Old 06-04-2013, 04:24 PM

I babysit Grandchildren full time, I am home all day but no time to sew until the weekends, then I realize that I have worn myself out, I have to force myself to go out and shop or walk or something.
    Old 06-04-2013, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin
    One should never feel guilty about sewing or not. I learned a long time ago not to invest in tickets for guilt trips. They have never been worth the money or time spent. There's always a side trip to the doctors office in the end if you buy one!
    Lovely philosophy!
    Old 06-04-2013, 04:58 PM

Actually, not a bad idea. I think I will have to try that.
    Old 06-04-2013, 07:25 PM

I had a 3 year hiatus from quilting and anything crafty which started with a badly broken right leg. My mojo totally went away while most of my energy went to recovery and then rehab. After that I was just busy doing other things, plus the thought of all of my unfinished projects was overwhelming. Last fall some of my close family had some tough times and I felt the need for some craft therapy. Finally!!

I only sew when I want to which is hours some days and not a stitch on others, but I'm pretty focused on quilting and finishing UFOs now and find I am happiest when I can work in a few hours a day. My youngest is 17 so I have the luxury of lots of time while DH is still working, I do feel some pressure to take advantage of it now because life can throw some curves. But mostly I feel lucky to have the time and means to enjoy it!
    Old 06-04-2013, 09:55 PM

Remind your DH that you cook, shop for groceries, do laundry, arrange for family get togethers, see that presents are either made or purchased in a timely fashion. Suggest that he start doing those things and then have him tell you with a straight face that none of that is work.
    Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    Your subject line is exactly what my hubby claims I do. Sew and NOT WORK. I do as little housework as I can and still be able to walk thru most of the house. I'm on here way too much, also