Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • To those of you who sew and don't work. >
  • To those of you who sew and don't work.

• To those of you who sew and don't work.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:25 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Default To those of you who sew and don't work.

I read a blog from a gal who sews from home. She said she was sewing seven days a week and burned herself out. Then she realized she needed to take weekends off. I decided to do the same. I burned myself out on sewing January 1st and just started sewing again last month. I think my treating sewing like I would a job, since I don't work, is a fabulous idea. I took this weekend off and am very excited to get back into the sewing room. This post is for people who are feeling burned out. Try this idea and see if it helps you.
    Old 06-03-2013, 08:32 AM

I am still working until next spring, but love your idea. Thank way I can still do fun things with DH and the family.
    Old 06-03-2013, 08:38 AM
    Power Poster

im disabled, I can't sew as much as i'd like to because of the pain in my back and shoulder. i'd love to sew more. I can only sew for about 5 minutes at a time. I wish I could sew more and feel guilty when I don't.
    Old 06-03-2013, 08:41 AM

I work fulltime and don't sew in the evenings or on Saturdays, but Sunday I go full throttle. Unless I'm in a really good book or there's a Law & Order marathon in which case I don't sew at all until the following weekend.
    Old 06-03-2013, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow
    I read a blog from a gal who sews from home. She said she was sewing seven days a week and burned herself out. Then she realized she needed to take weekends off. I decided to do the same. I burned myself out on sewing January 1st and just started sewing again last month. I think my treating sewing like I would a job, since I don't work, is a fabulous idea. I took this weekend off and am very excited to get back into the sewing room. This post is for people who are feeling burned out. Try this idea and see if it helps you.
    Your subject line is exactly what my hubby claims I do. Sew and NOT WORK. I do as little housework as I can and still be able to walk thru most of the house. I'm on here way too much, also
    Old 06-03-2013, 08:58 AM

I try to treat sewing as my job; but I end up having to run errands, go to exercise, do housework, etc. I guess I'm just a part time sewer. That's why I end up doing some sewing on weekends. The way I have kept from burning out is that I work on so many different things, e.g., in the mornings, I work on FMQ, in the afternoons, I work on piecing, and at night I do handwork such as hand appliqué, Redwork embroidery, or repairing a 50 year old quilt. If I am tired of doing one thing in quilting, I can choose to do another quilting project.
    Old 06-03-2013, 09:02 AM
    Power Poster

I guess it depends on how much you enjoy the sewing. If it's paid work you have to do for others, you should definitely have time off. But for some of us, sewing is rest and recreation, and it's what we want to do every day!
    Old 06-03-2013, 09:20 AM

I wish i could sew for longer time,but with RA the pain starts getting bad after two or three hours. I used to sew all day and have to force myself to stop, oh for the good old day's.
    Old 06-03-2013, 09:28 AM

I sewed for a living, I did this for 20+ years. It took me awhile to even by a home sewing machine after I retired.
    To this day I only sew when I want to. Sometimes I won't even go into my sewing room for days at a time. And there are times I will spend days on end in there.

My idea of not getting burnt out is to do more than quilting in my sewing room. I make clothes for the grandkids and myself. I do craft projects of all kinds.
    Old 06-03-2013, 09:36 AM

I'm a "mood quilter". When I'm in the mood, I can piece/quilt all day long for days at a time When I'm not in the mood, it can be days/weeks before I touch my sewing machine