Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For those of you who use charm packs, >
  • For those of you who use charm packs,

• For those of you who use charm packs,

Old 10-28-2013, 03:48 AM

I love using charm packs too. If they are from a fabric line I really love, I will buy 6, and border yardage. Crafttown fabrics charm packs are always 10% or 20% off.
    Old 10-28-2013, 03:57 AM

I love charm packs. I buy them two at a time usually. With two I can make a nice lap quilt with some solids added or a coordinating patterned fabric. I usually go with solids.

With Christmas coming my wallet is on a major cleanse diet (can you hear me bawling cuz I miss buying fabric lol). I have a few charm packs I want some more of. Especially the mama said sew line. I found it and fell in love and now I am hoarding and collecting to make myself a quilt entirely out of that line. No solids except for backing.

Dagnabit I miss buying charm packs.

Oh I bought all my packs from either the little fabric shop or off eBay from the stitch sanctuary.
    Old 10-28-2013, 04:39 AM
    Power Poster

I have a lot of charm packs. I like buying a charm pack, jelly roll and layer cake of the same line. A charm pack, jelly roll, and layer cake are perfect for all paper piecing projects. Toss a few in a bag and you have an instant quilt kit.
    Old 10-28-2013, 04:55 AM

I am an avid pre-cut user and buyer - I love how the fabrics are already coordinated - I sometimes buy one or two charm packs - but I have found if I can purchase 4 or more - than I have many more options on quilt size. I buy them onsale - I have found some great deals on Etsy - just search for charm pack sale and you will find them - sometimes you get free shipping too. There are tons of free patterns and ideas - I like them and I have many pre-cuts in my stash.
    Old 10-28-2013, 07:29 AM
    Power Poster

I just started buying some for the colors. I have only purchased for small projects and 1 was fine but would need alot more for larger projects.
    Old 10-28-2013, 11:17 AM

I use a lot of them,I only buy them on sale,and since I'm into scrappy they are more economical for me,as I can't get out and the stores are a long distance. I get them from Mo.Star when they have ones on sale I like.
    Old 10-28-2013, 11:17 AM

I layer cake= 4 charm packs
    Old 10-28-2013, 12:31 PM

I love charm packs! I love the fact that you have access to the whole line of fabric without spending a lot of money. I normally make smaller quilts with my charms or alternate blocks with a plain contrasting color. My favorites are Pinwheel blocks and the Tumbler block. You can even use the back cardboard piece as a template for the tumbler. Just measure in 1 inch from each bottom corner and draw a line to each top corner, cut and place template on back of charm, mark with water erasable pen. Sew on lines alternating tumblers top/bottom. Great quick quilt!
    Old 10-28-2013, 01:13 PM
    Power Poster

I have so much fabric that I just cut my own 5" squares.
    Old 10-28-2013, 01:25 PM
    Power Poster

Looking at the Missouriquiltco website made me dizzy! I wish they would put the sampler for each charm pack in the listing photo instead of just the top fabric. To see the colors and designs in a pack I had to click once on the pack, again on the sampler, and then backpage to get back to the list. More than this old brain can handle, I guess. I'm not familiar with all the new lines of fabric, so I really need the sampler to get an idea of what's in the charm pack.

Some of the sellers on Etsy seem to start with the sampler photo, so maybe I will spend more time looking there.

At this point, I'm thinking I have so much fabric I should just start cutting my own 5" squares and assembling my own charm packs from those. I ***do*** have a strong desire to cut my stash down to size (no pun intended!).