Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Thoughts on a drop in sewing machine with a gap behind the machine >
  • Thoughts on a drop in sewing machine with a gap behind the machine

• Thoughts on a drop in sewing machine with a gap behind the machine

Old 08-30-2014, 09:07 AM

I went to the shop today and looked at the table with my machine in it. It's perfect. Yes. There is a gap. About 3 1/2 inches but not a deal breaker. I paid $425 and it's marked SOLD. Were going tomorrow after church to get it. Today I have to take my kids to football/ cheerleading.

And when I realized a new table was $659 not $495 my mind was easily made up. Easy way to seal the deal. Lol It's more money for fabric.
    Old 08-30-2014, 09:40 AM

Something to consider with this Olivia sewing table, if you like sitting centered with the needle, you have to wedge yourself to the far left of the seating area and have your leg crammed next to the left lower shelves.

I recently purchased the Arrow Florie which is very similar to the Olivia (Florie's lower shelves are open on the side instead of the front-- a front opening is so much more practical though). This would be true of any sewing table that has lower shelves or drawers but I hadn't really thought about this until my table was set up and I sat to sew. I would much prefer a larger seating area cut-out and/or not have any lower shelves or drawers. Just something to consider.

ETA: Just saw that you purchased it. You will really enjoy having your machine set down in a table. My shoulders and neck have been so much better since I got my set up last month. With respect to sitting center with the needle, you just have to get a comfortable spot to sit--for me, I have to rest my left leg against the lower left cabinet area so not perfect, but okay.

Last edited by AngelinaMaria; 08-30-2014 at 09:43 AM.
    Old 08-30-2014, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jo C
    Here's how I solved that problem. I took a piece of styrofoam that came as packing. Cut it to fit the hole then covered it completely in masking tape so it doesn't "shed". I've been using the same piece for several years and because I sometimes change out the machines, I can make different sizes for each machine. I'm cheap!
    I wondered about suggesting styrofoam as I've read about people making extensions out it when they quilt on their sewing machines. Glad to know it's a choice.
    Old 08-30-2014, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria
    Something to consider with this Olivia sewing table, if you like sitting centered with the needle, you have to wedge yourself to the far left of the seating area and have your leg crammed next to the left lower shelves.

I recently purchased the Arrow Florie which is very similar to the Olivia (Florie's lower shelves are open on the side instead of the front-- a front opening is so much more practical though). This would be true of any sewing table that has lower shelves or drawers but I hadn't really thought about this until my table was set up and I sat to sew. I would much prefer a larger seating area cut-out and/or not have any lower shelves or drawers. Just something to consider.

ETA: Just saw that you purchased it. You will really enjoy having your machine set down in a table. My shoulders and neck have been so much better since I got my set up last month. With respect to sitting center with the needle, you just have to get a comfortable spot to sit--for me, I have to rest my left leg against the lower left cabinet area so not perfect, but okay.
    Thanks for the pointers. I'm so glad I didn't get the florid. I almost did. Found one on Amazon for less than $300. I would have had no way of getting to my supplies. I like the drawers on the olivia. That was I can hide stuff. My table is in the corner of my dining room. Right now I'm sitting at an old Formica table and my legs are crammed. Lol.

i have my corner all cleaned and ready to pick up the new table tomorrow. I can't wait!!
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Old 08-31-2014, 05:28 AM

My drop in table was made for the machine I had two machines ago. If your up down is adjustable and it should be, you can do what I do. Raise the machine just a bit and use the acrylic surround made for the machine. Easy Peasy. A custom insert is not necessary
    Old 08-31-2014, 05:36 AM

Those new drop ins and conversions are nice - but some of us own the Horn, Koala, already. They were expensive to begin with and in this town, unwanted. I tried to sell one, no one wanted it, and I'm not donating it. I'm working on converting it to work with the 1500. I've had both cabinets for over 10 years.
    Old 08-31-2014, 11:40 PM

My machine has a good inch gap in the back where drops into the table...never had a problem when doing a whole quile, but did find that chain piecing..they dropped in the gap and eventually filled up the gap and caused me issues..so i just rolled extra batting and stuffed it in the gap...you didn't say how big you gap would be? To some of us , an inch would be pretty big...but maybe it's more...at any rate..you can deal with this..if it's what you want and the price is right..I say, go for it...you can deal with the gap!