Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Which thread is best for big stitch quilting? >
  • Which thread is best for big stitch quilting?

• Which thread is best for big stitch quilting?

Old 09-13-2018, 08:05 PM

Default Which thread is best for big stitch quilting?

I have been big stitch or prairie stitch quilting with crochet and perle cotton and i just saw a tutorial where she recommends 12wt Aurifil. I wonder if any of you have tried it. Sometimes the crochet thread feels too thick and it is hard to pull through and ran out of perle cotton and want to know what to buy next. Also do you always use black for the long stitch? My quilting partner says that that is what is mostly used.
    Old 09-14-2018, 03:57 AM

I have used different colors of Perle cotton and I have experimented with several strands of embroidery thread. I have just been playing with what I have on hand. So far I have only made table runners and small quilts. Having fun basically!
    Old 09-14-2018, 04:13 AM

Any color is fine to use. I wonder if Sulky 12 weight is too thick? I've used that for hand embroidery and love it. It's equal to three strands of embroidery floss. You can get small spools of it inexpensively so it shouldn't cost much to try. Maybe make a twelve inch quilt sandwich and try some different threads. Make notes with a permanent marker on your sandwich to remember which is which. Hmmm, maybe I'll do that. Thanks!
    Old 09-14-2018, 04:23 AM
    Power Poster

The only one I've used is Perle cotton, I think size 8 but I'm sure there are others. Someone on the board told me what to use and it's coming out great. First time for me and I'm enjoying it.
    Old 09-14-2018, 07:17 AM

I made a sample sandwich and tried several threads and needles. I prefer Perle size 8 or 12 or Aurifil 12. Sulky 12 wt. Is actually a bit thinner than I like, but I use it when it suits the quilt. I also tried several weights of crochet cotton. The size 10 is too difficult to quilt with, but the 20 and 30 wts are great. The only issue is that I only have white and ecru. My daughter and I plan to dye some when we get the chance. I use whatever color looks good on the quilt. Have fun experimenting!
    Old 09-14-2018, 07:46 AM

I recently used the Aurifil 12 wt for the first time. In my machine. I was quilting a runner with it and it really had a thicker look. I would think it would work well for big stitch quilting.