Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • thread choice? >
  • thread choice?

• thread choice?

Old 10-30-2017, 05:36 PM

Although I don't have a longarm(yet), I FMQ all my quilts with machine embroidery thread, I absolutely love using it. If you want to try it first, then go ahead and do so, please don't let the quilt police tell you/us, what we can do.
    Old 10-30-2017, 06:29 PM

use what you want. Poly is fine
    Old 10-30-2017, 07:12 PM

I favor Glide when I want a shine and Permacore when I want something more matte. I find both are economical and if I have a color I use alot, I buy 2 cones, one for the machine and one for bobbins. I hate winding too many and then having them full of a color I might not use again for 6 months. Permacore has a bit more lint, but any thread that is not a mono filament will have fuzz.
    Old 10-30-2017, 08:05 PM

I frankly prefer a poly when I long arm. SoFine #50 is my "go to"--it's available in a wide range of colors, not linty, sinks well into the fabric and is fine enough to allow dense quilting without being "thready". I also like Permacore for the same reasons. Glide is nice for a sheen, and I'm like others that i like BottomLine in both top and bottom (although it took a few tries to get the bobbin so it didn't wind too tight!) and just found MicroQuilter (#100 wt) by Superior and LOVE it for micro quilting. As you can see I like Superior threads. for some reason I have a harder time getting YLI threads adjusted on the tension--may just be me. I don't particularly like #40wt cotton threads--they seem to not sink into the fabric and are so linty, and there's more breakage. I find that machine embroidery threads are such a pain--they break constantly (I like quilting fast so that's the problem).

On Aurefil--I just bought my first spool/cone for piecing and very disappointed! It may be the crosswind of the spool, but my DSM won't play well with it at all! What an expensive disappointment.
    Old 10-31-2017, 03:35 AM

quiltingshorttimer-I haven't had a problem with my machine embroidery thread breaking, but I'm quilting on a DSM, not a long arm, so I'll see if I have any problems once I get my longarm, hopefully not.
    Old 10-31-2017, 05:07 AM

I believe not using poly threads on cotton fabrics is a myth. I would suggest you use what your machine likes and what you think is reasonably priced. I prefer and have been using A&E Perma Core (tex 40) which is a poly wrapped poly with my Gammill machine for all my machine quilting for the last 17 hears. No breakage, no skipped stitches, no tension .
    Old 10-31-2017, 05:10 AM
    Power Poster

Hi Red- I don't have a longarm but I do like Aurifil 40 or 50 wt. But really I have found that whatever my machine likes is what I like!!
    My Bernina will use anything I put in. My Juki is new so I haven't experimented much yet.
    Old 10-31-2017, 05:41 AM

all I can say is when I bought my longarm they suggested to stay with the same thread for about 6 months till I was completely comfortable I think I would go with the dealer suggestion for that period of time
    Old 10-31-2017, 05:50 AM
    Power Poster

I would say whatever your machine likes! My Husqvarna Viking Mega quilter does not like polyester in the top...cotton only...but the bobbin can be polyester.
    Old 10-31-2017, 06:00 AM

So far, I have had the best luck with Isacord with my Babylock Coronet. This is a thread recommended by Leah Day. I’m not a patient quilter so other thread seem to break but I can go fast with the Isacord, I rarely have breakage.