Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Thread color? >
  • Thread color?

• Thread color?

Old 01-02-2011, 09:55 AM

I am using up all my old spools of thread, most of them match one of the fabrics and when those are gone, I'll go neutral.
    Old 01-02-2011, 10:15 AM

Med to light gray is what I like to use for piecing as it kinda blends with all colors
    Old 01-02-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
    I was told to stay away from Black thread. Black thread is usually made from the miscolored batches of thread and has had the opportunity to be redyed several times before they gave up on matching it. Every time it has been dyed it tends to loose its tensile strength and therefore it will break more often. Coats and Clarke are the worlds worse about participating in this practice.

I tested it for kicks and giggles with the set of gauges I use to set tensions up on sewing machines and every time the Black broke before the other colors. And I was using several different spools and brands to see if there was a difference. But the Coats and Clarke would break at half the amount of tension as their White.

Billy
    Thanks for the info Billy, Never heard that but it sure makes sense. I will start using more gray. I usally don't use to much of my black as it is usually a little to dark for what I am doing..
    Old 01-02-2011, 11:02 AM

I have grays, white, black, and lite to dark beige. I do use the dark beige/taupe for Kansas Troubles Fabrics.
    Old 01-02-2011, 11:11 AM
    Power Poster

I only have grey and beige for piecing. I suppose I need to add black too but so far I have not done much with black fabric.
    Old 01-02-2011, 11:51 AM

I use off white and black.
    Old 01-02-2011, 12:05 PM

Use mostly white but aslso use some grey. If the fabric is mostly purple or blue, I will use that color thread as I have lots of different purples and blues thread colors. Rarely use black thread but when I do, I have some King Tut that I use. Also, I tossed all my Coats and Clark after buying better quality thread and realizing I didn't even like the feel of it, let lone working with Coats and Clark. Am amazed at how many LQS' only carry Coats and Clark.
    Old 01-02-2011, 12:10 PM
    Banned

I have a huge order for thread I have to submit to Connecting Threads later today or tomorrow. I am ordering all of their color sets and adding some others to the mix too. So I think I will be set up for a while. ;-)

Billy
    Old 01-02-2011, 12:10 PM

I'm working on a scrappy quilt with a million different colors and patterns of fabric, I found an ugly color of thread in my stash that I can't imagine using for anything else and am using that and bobbins of all colors to get rid of those only partually full. It's working quite well.
    Old 01-02-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by jfowles
    I'm working on a scrappy quilt with a million different colors and patterns of fabric, I found an ugly color of thread in my stash that I can't imagine using for anything else and am using that and bobbins of all colors to get rid of those only partually full. It's working quite well.
    I did that the last time I did mending. The jeans were quite colorful and I didn't care. Who wants to mend when one can quilt? DH and DDs not impressed with the line of reasoning. :)