Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • THREAD FOR EMBROIDERY/QUILTING MACHINE >
  • THREAD FOR EMBROIDERY/QUILTING MACHINE

• THREAD FOR EMBROIDERY/QUILTING MACHINE

Old 10-13-2011, 10:19 AM

When I first started embroidery, my dealer had a deal tha allowed me to buy 40 spool lots of ARC thread at $2 each. Over time, I purchased every color they had and about 10 each of white and black. I have added some over the years (since 2004) and will tell you that over this time, I have used some of almost every one. My very least favorite thread of all time is Robinson Anton. I have about 5 spools I bought at a quilt show and I have had trouble with them on three different machines now (two brands). More lint and breakage. My very favorite is Floriani!
    Old 10-13-2011, 10:36 AM

Whenever you go to a quilt shop, hit their bargain rack and see if they have embroidery thread on clearance, great way to build your color library. I have about 500 spools of differnt colors and another 500 in odd sizes and amounts. You didn't mention your make of machine. 10 is a good amount to feel your way through the maze of different threads. My machine isn't picky, I use Madeira, Isacords, Robinson/Anton, Sulky, and others, no issues of breakage of tension issues. I have a Janome 350E. Also, you can get large spools of bobbin thread on Ebay very reasonable and that will allow you use your colors for the top part of your embroidery.
    Old 10-13-2011, 10:50 AM

Like most of you I started with primary colors and knowing that these threads are expensive I only buy for a project however since Sulky threads are usually at 50% at Joanns' I buy 10 at a time (which amounts to $20) so that I can have a collection of different colors.
    Old 10-13-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by johnnietate1225
    For those of you who have embroidery/quilting machines, if you could only purchase a minimum amount of spools, which colors would you choose.

I just purchased a machine and will purchase about 10 spools of thread, to start with.

As always, thank you guys for your advise.
    Your can check out: Sewforless.com. they have specials where you can pick 30 solid colors of your choice (1000 yd. spools) which you receive in a plastic storage case for $125. This to me is a great website with excellent products
    Old 10-13-2011, 01:31 PM

Definitely pick out your design first, then get the colors.In order to keep the cost down and the look professional I would put my first few designs on something that is not open to view on both sides as a towel is. I personally think it is very tacky to have both sides open to view and have the back side done in bobbin white or black. Colored bobbin thread adds more expense, so I would definitely suggest embroidering on pillowcases or sweatshirts or something similar to learn.I would also ask everyone to give me gift certificates as gifts when I could.