Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is this thread safe to use for a toddler's twin sized bed quilt? >
  • Is this thread safe to use for a toddler's twin sized bed quilt?

• Is this thread safe to use for a toddler's twin sized bed quilt?

Old 09-18-2019, 06:57 AM

Default Is this thread safe to use for a toddler's twin sized bed quilt?

Hi all of you experts,
    I am working on a lego quilt for my toddler grandson to be used on his brandnew twin bed. (At least I hope it will be used.) I like the way it is turning out and I don't want to distract from the pattern, or ruin it with with my quilting. So I was wondering if I could use clear Mono Poly thread by Superior Threads for the top as I quilt. It does say it will not get brittle with time and is iron and dryer safe on medium heat setting. It is made from polyester and not from nylon. We used this type of thread at a recent class and I was so impressed with the results.
    Thank you for your response I greatly appreciate it.
    Old 09-18-2019, 08:07 AM

Personal opinion here, I wouldn’t risk it.
    Old 09-18-2019, 08:17 AM

MonoPoly thread is washable and will hold up well to many washings. I made a Lego quilt for my 5 year old grandson. I used the MonoPoly thread to stitch around his name. The zigzag stitch around raw edge applique. Giving it to him this weekend. It's great thread. I use it a lot.
    Old 09-18-2019, 08:24 AM
    Power Poster

I’ve used that specific thread on many, many projects over the years. It holds up well. It is just about my favorite quilting thread. ( I do use regular thread in the bobbin) it has held up to lots of use, laundering and abuse. I’ve used it on many kids quilts without any issues
    Old 09-18-2019, 08:53 AM

I have used the Monopoly Thread by Superior Threads on a few quilts. One quilt is more that 20 years old now and is still wearing well for a quilt in daily use. Be prepared to have the thread break a great deal when you are sewing with it. This is just the nature of the beast. The thread wears well and lets all the detail of you quilting stand on its own design and pattern. Use a sturdy thread that will be the thread on the back of the quilt in any color you want. You do not use your Monopoly thread in the bobbin.
    Old 09-18-2019, 12:11 PM

I've used it successfully on several quilts. Make sure you follow Superior's instructions re needle size and tension, and you shouldn't have any problems with breakage. Not sure how the thread would be "unsafe", so I guess I don't really understand your question.
    Old 09-18-2019, 02:59 PM

I have used it also without issues. Make sure the thread is un-winding easily from the spool. You may need a thread stand so it travels some distance. You don't want kinks as it un-winds.

PS: If you have an auto-threader, it may not work. I manually thread the machine needle.
    Old 09-18-2019, 06:26 PM

I have always heard that while the thread might work, it is not recommended for children quilts because of a safety issue. One time I was staying in a hotel, watching tv and suddenly realized I was winding a long string of invisible thread around my finger and it was rather tightly winding, and thought what if a child might be doing the same on a quilt I had made. So think of safety.
    Old 09-18-2019, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt30
    I have always heard that while the thread might work, it is not recommended for children quilts because of a safety issue. One time I was staying in a hotel, watching tv and suddenly realized I was winding a long string of invisible thread around my finger and it was rather tightly winding, and thought what if a child might be doing the same on a quilt I had made. So think of safety.
    why would MonoPoly make this any more dangerous than any other thread? Am I missing something?
    Old 09-18-2019, 08:11 PM

I don't use this poly thread but I have used others. The only thing you can't do is iron the poly thread with your iron on the hottest setting. It will melt the thread if the iron is too hot or left on the thread too long. If you are using it for quilting, you should have no problems. In past years, it was said that the poly was so strong that the thread would eventually cut the quilt top because it wouldn't age as quickly as the cotton in the pieced quilt. I wouldn't worry about. Just go ahead and use it.