Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Thread snob sewing machines >
  • Thread snob sewing machines

• Thread snob sewing machines

Old 09-20-2012, 06:52 AM
    Banned

I was told, when buying my Elna SU back in 1975, to stay away from C&C. Since then, I've only used it when I had to get a perfect color match and I couldn't find it in Gutterman. So for the next 30 years, 90+% of what I used was Gutterman because of it's availability to where I lived.

Then recently, I just heard (on another board) that some sewers have been told to NEVER pull the thread out of their machine from the spool end. The proper way to remove the last of the thread is to cut it at the spool and remove through the needle. (Huh? Never heard that one before!)

I've always had my presser foot up (tension removed) and pulled my thread out by the spool all these years... and I NEVER had a problem. My Elna 62 had been a workhorse and well loved and well used... and it NEVER went in for repairs - much less any tension issues. And my machine didn't fill up with fuzz.

So gotta wonder - is it because I always used better thread?

And this talk of not using C&C - gotta wonder if it has more nubblies that could jack up tension if pulled out backwards.

Oh.. and I did ask my tech about removing the thread in reverse by the spool end. He said that it is better to cut it... to keep the flow of thread lint and whatnot flowing in the same direction so it usually removes itself. If you have lint or crud of some sort in the tension area and you pull the thread out backwards (from the spool end) this is what can lodge something into the tension area and cause problems.

Problems are much less likely to occur if the thread always goes through the tension area in the same direction.

As far as C&C being such a big, profitable company - well.. I guess my take on that is that Walmart is a big, profitable company, too (which sells C&C)... and "big" doesn't equal "quality".

I use Mettler mainly in my new machine - and I've got my radar set on trying to find some Aurifil (is that how it's spelled?) since so many people talk about it online.

Oh.. and that brings up one more point... we have "online" now to help us get a good read on things. For 30 years, I just pretty much depended on what I learned from Mom & Grandma when I was a teenager... who only had a few sisters and friends to network out to back in the 60s... and then, after buying my first prized sewing machine in the 70's, I would depend on my dealer for new information on the best way to go about things.

Look how wonderful it is that we can share info like this in a forum such as this. Seems its so much easier to resolve problems or learn a better way... or at the very least, think a problem through to get a better guess at why somethin's just not workin'.
    Old 09-20-2012, 06:59 AM

thanks to all who responding about "finicky"machines/threads. When I first read the initial responses about certain machines only taking certain threads and some threads not accepted at all by all known machines - made me think something was wrong with me. I started sewing on my mom's treadle machine.....now have very computerized machines and have had no real problem with any thread........just have to know how each "special" thread needs to be handled, what needle to use and most important remove all lint........

I have used Sewers Aid occasionally on some specialty threads and find it does make it better.

On my longarm if a thread is being fussy, I have gently sprayed it with water....(cotton/cotton/poly) as these sometimes get "dry" and that resolves the problem.

Remember this is not brain surgery....it is a hobby and these new machines are supposed to make it easier not finicky.

If I were told by a sales rep/repairman that my machine did not take a certain thread, rest assured, I would be on the phone to the mfg to ask "why"....at these prices they should sew with any thread MADE to be used on a sewing machine.......
    Old 09-20-2012, 07:06 AM

I have a Bernina Aurora that hates Coats and Clark thread. I have a huge stash of that brand for I have used Singers all my life. I have found that my Bernina Aurora is fussy, I absolutely have to clean the machine every 6 bobbins used and sometimes before. When I say it's fussy, I mean the thread will break over and over again. Or it causes a mess in the bobbin area. So I understand it's Swiss made and I just keep it clean, very clean or it won't sew properly. When I am working on a quilt, I don't like stopping for repairs. I have developed a habit now of cleaning all my machines when I use 6 bobbins. It doesn't take long and I am assured of having a smooth running machine. My Bernina does great with Connecting Threads thread even though it causes a great deal of dust. I also was told to not use C & C by the dealer, but I did it anyway, until I had problems. Each person has to know what works for their machine. I am not mechanically inclined so I take the easy way and just change the thread to what works for me.
    Old 09-20-2012, 07:44 AM

I have Janome 11000 and dealer told me to only use a high end brand. I have used everything in it from the very old generic threads that were my mother's to high end thread, they all work. Work in the bobbing to, mix and match. When ever I have a problem with the stitching it is usually because I need to change the needle. And for some reason that is the last thing I think to do. LOL
    Old 09-20-2012, 07:58 AM

what I've learned about the different types of threads are -- if I use a cheap thread and I'm doing some heavyduty work (like a tight embroidery design or sewing through a lot of thickness), these cheaper threads don't do this type of work very well. My machine has auto-tension control and that could have something to do with it.

So, in my case, I just prefer to use a better thread (like Gutterman or Mettler) with a lower lint advantage. I haven't tried the pricier threads like Aurifil or Superior simply because the budget doesn't allow it.

I do buy Coats & Clark all-purpose when I can't find the color I want otherwise and my machine is fine.

I have a Babylock Esante.
    Old 09-20-2012, 08:05 AM

My machines don't need matching top and bobbin threads, the 301 will sew with anything though the Elna 62C won't sew with serger thread, but it isn't for regular sewing machines so it's okay. The Elna had trouble with one metallic years ago, bur generally does fine. The 15 clone doesn't seem fussy, either. I haven't sewn with the others, but because they are vintage models, I'm not expecting any issues.

Has anyone tried the new C&C? It seems a little stiff but sewed okay on the 301. I do like a finer thread like Guterman on the 301's bobbin so it will hold more. Those skinny bobbins don't hold a lot.
    Old 09-20-2012, 09:43 AM

My only picky one is my Janome 10001. It spits out Janome thread. I use it on all of the others, and they like it just fine. Oh well--it takes anything else I give it, so that's fine.
    Old 09-20-2012, 09:51 AM

I don't think of it as snobbery as much as convenience and ease of use. For instance, I have a friend who will only use King Tut in her machines. She quilts a TON of charity quilts with her 2 longarms - her average is 30 quilts a month AND she works full-time. She uses King Tut because she has the tension set and balanced perfectly for that thread on both of her machines. She knows when she starts quilting she's not going to have to make any adjustments.
    Old 09-20-2012, 10:51 AM

I am so glad that my 30-year-old Kenmore doesn't know anything about thread, because I buy the stuff that's 50 cents a spool in the bin at my local sewing machine shop. Always stock up on white, grey and black, and I have a whole tub of colored thread that I've purchased over the years and it works great too. Just recently I decided to buy some taupe thread at Joann's and couldn't believe the prices. Apparently I've had my head in the sand for years.
    Old 09-20-2012, 11:38 AM

I have a brother sewing machine. I super great. My dealer told me that i could you the cheap thread if I use a bigger needle, but they told me i can use any thread