Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Thread ? >
  • Thread ?

• Thread ?

Old 10-23-2010, 06:21 PM

I tried the coats invisible thread. It was lik fishing line. It use to break all the time. I just bought sulky clear thread. hoping it works better
    Old 10-23-2010, 06:27 PM
    Power Poster

I have used every brand of thread and have about every brand. I love trying new ones. InvisFil is becoming a favorite for my bobbin. Connecting Threads cotton and the new poly is very good for piecing. I have good luck using it for machine quilting too. Can't beat the price for it, it is my basic thread of choice. Aurifil is very smooth and I bought a lot of it when it was on clearance from http://www.tristan.bc.ca/specials.html, it still is the best price for Aurifil and Mako cotton thread. I use Superior threads when I find them on sale. Superior has a new silk thread the is great for machine quilting. Sulky and Gutermann and Mettler are very good. Robison-Anton thread is nice and usually better priced then most. YLI has very good hand quilting thread and excellent silk thread. I love using silk thread for FMQ and applique. Glide from Fil Tec is my next best FMQ thread. Star is nice thread but it takes a spool adapter which is not worth bothering with when there are other threads that don't need one. Presencia thread is good but not easy to find on sale. The Coats and Clark metallic thread is the best I've used for not breaking. It sounds like I have a lot of thread and I do. All the pricey brands I bought on sale or clearance to try. Silk is my all time personal favorite thread to use.
    Old 10-23-2010, 06:53 PM

I love Masterpiece by Superior Thread. It is a 50 weight. I use mostly gray tones. They blend so well with just about everything.
    Old 10-23-2010, 06:57 PM

I love Aurafil, Mettler and Precensia for piecing. I also use all three for quilting.
    Old 10-24-2010, 12:25 AM

Yes, Joanne has invisible thread, they also have clear thread from sulky that i just bought. I use invisible on the top and a different color on the bottom. and yes it does break alot. but worth it for stitch in the ditch.
    Originally Posted by Marcine
    Hi, I am wanting to try this invisible thread on a quilt I am making. Does Joann's sell it? Can you use the invisifil thread for the top thread, and another color for bobbin thread? I tried using some clear thread I had, and it is so thin, keeps breaking all the time. It is some I've had for awhile. Do you have to set the tension different when using this type of thread? Sure would appreciated any impute on this. Thanks so much.
    Old 10-24-2010, 02:55 AM
    Power Poster

your thread choices are as individual as your fabric choices. i peice with cotton, poly, wool and silk thread...just depends on the project. my favorites to piece with are poly (stronger, doesn't tangle as bad as cotton) and silk (my favorite for hand piecing) but i seldom worry about it...as long as the thread is strong enough to hold up and the right color i use it. as for weight i usually use 50 weight, except the silks are 100 wt. (very thin) great for applique.