Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Thread >
  • Thread

• Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 06:11 PM

I am a new sewer and at the local quilt shop where I am taking a quilting class, they told me to buy a certain brand of thread. It's Mettler 100% cotton silk-finish. They said it was the 2nd best to a thread that is twice as much and I don't want to spend $10 for a spool.

I am also taking a class at a Joanns to learn how to make pajama pants and I was wondering if the thread you use makes a difference, either for the project or the machine. Is the 100% polyester thread at Joanns just as good as the cotton stuff from the quilting shop? It's only a couple of dollars difference so I don't mind spending the extra money if it's worth it.

Also, do you buy new thread to match your fabric or just use whatever you already have that's the closest?

Thanks!!!
    Old 01-23-2010, 06:17 PM

Indeed, thread does make a difference as does the needle. Use the cotton thread for sewing on your cotton quilting fabric. It's more "compatable" with the fibers.

The "sharper" thread with poly or nylon content is too harsh for the cotton on the quilts and could damage the quilting fabric. If you have ever noticed a man's wool shirt with the elbows worn thin, it is most likely a wool/nylon blend fabric and the nylon in it has actually "worn out" the wool, leaving just the nylon. (I hate it when it happens to my socks!) Anyway, the same thing will happen to your quilt. And you put in way too much time for something like that to happen.

M
    Old 01-23-2010, 06:19 PM
    Power Poster

I have a lot of thread from Connecting Threads so I usually have one that matches. If not I buy some. I haven't tried too many different threads I can't help you with the other question.
    Old 01-23-2010, 06:29 PM

I have typically used the Mettler silk finish for quilting and love it. Save your pennies elsewhere and buy good thread for your quilts. It does make a difference.
    Old 01-23-2010, 07:57 PM

We just received an order of threads from Connecting Threads based on recommendations from this board. We haven't used it yet, but we thought the price couldn't be beat and the colors are great.

Darren
    Old 01-23-2010, 10:38 PM

I piece with a neutral thread beige or gray unless the background is black then I tend to use black. I quilt with matching thread.
    Old 01-23-2010, 10:40 PM

Use what you can afford. If you are a beginner, don't get wrapped up in what you "must" have.

Excellent thread and quilt shop quality fabric is great for making heirloom quilts. It should be used by anyone who can afford to use it and deems it worthwhile.

Cheaper thread and lower quality fabric is great for making quilts, too. If that's what you can afford, and you enjoy quilting don't let the fact you don't have top quality materials prevent you from giving quilting a try.

I use what I can afford because I enjoy the process. My quilts may not last 100 years. I won't either.
    Old 01-23-2010, 11:12 PM
    Power Poster

I use white, cream, darker cream and black to piece most all of my blocks. I buy a cotton thread, but certainly not at that price :shock:
    Old 01-23-2010, 11:32 PM

Thanks for all the info.

I think my dilemma boils down to whether to use cotton thread or polyester thread for my flannel pajama pants pattern. Do you guys make any garments? What thread do you use when sewing with flannel?
    Old 01-24-2010, 03:18 AM

Same answer because flannel is cotton. Enjoy your quilting adventure.