Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Thread for winding your own bobbins? >
  • Thread for winding your own bobbins?

• Thread for winding your own bobbins?

Old 12-16-2011, 09:12 AM

I love Bottom Line, too!

Connecting Threads now has a poly thread in the same size/weight and appears even more matte than Bottom Line. I've been using it in the bobbin and in the needle for piecing and quilting and it's just as beautiful.

I tried using it for hand applique, but it's not anywhere near as good for that as Bottom Line is.
    Old 12-16-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
    I agree . The only "always" exceptions are when I am using invisable ( monofilament) , or mettalic threads. On rare occasions I have been know to match the bobbin thread using these threads , but rarely.
    been a while since I used invisible, but I use it only on the top when I do. The polyester invisible, not the nylon.
    Old 12-16-2011, 09:33 AM

I have an 830 and have used poly!! I have learned that you need to use a top-stitch needle for piecing and quilting to get specialty threads to work correctly and loosen the tension to 1 or under!! Also buy threads that when you hold up the ends it hangs in a U and do not twist or curl. I have been using alot of Superior threads!!!
    Originally Posted by jcrow
    I would like to know the answer to this also. I always use cotton thread in my Bernina 830. I don't think I've ever used poly thread on my sewing machine. I've been afraid to try it.

Last edited by grammysharon; 12-16-2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: spelling
    Old 12-16-2011, 11:18 AM

I have always wound my own bobbins using the same thread as I use on the top. Of course I come from an era that didn't have pre wound bobbins and never Plastic bobbins! LOL How times have changed!
    Old 12-16-2011, 11:30 AM

My machines work with any thread, I use any brand good thread, vintage too, coats & clark, etc. One day I will have to try bottom line to see if there is a difference. The quilter's who came before us used any thread that they could buy, so I feel I am in good company.
    Old 12-16-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
    Ditto. Why over think it? :>
    Double ditto.
    Old 12-16-2011, 07:42 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Bottom Line is a great bobbin thread, and youndin't need to change bobbins so often.
    Old 12-16-2011, 09:23 PM
    Banned

I use either Aurifil 60wt bobbin thread or YLI soft touch bobbin thread also 60wt.
    you get a really FULL bobbin with these!
    Old 12-16-2011, 09:33 PM

I always use poly, I buy the Sulky bobbin thread, there's zillions of yards of thread on a spool so it lasts forever, and you get more for your money, and I never have a problem with it. It only comes in black and white though. If I need colors I just use good 'ole Coats and Clark.
    Old 12-17-2011, 01:49 AM
    Power Poster

visit Superior Threads web site- they have TONS of great free information- charts you can print off - that will answer your thread questions-
    their Bottom Line thread is a great bobbin thread- fine and strong- you can get alot on a bobbin( so you don't have to stop to re-fill so often)
    they explain the differences in threads, what they are best suited for and the needles to use with them- explaining the differences in needles and sizes. a very good informational resource. (and --no, i'm not affiliated in any way- i just learn alot from them)
    usually i just use what ever thread i'm using -- top and bobbin--
    and the (afraid of poly thread???) i don't get that at all....poly thread has been around for a long-long time and is a good thread for most uses....much less lint than cotton and comes in a huge selection of colors along with weights. i use some cotton threads buy many more poly's...they certainly won't hurt your machine.
    the thread that will hurt your machine is one specified as Hand Quilting Thread---it has a wax coating which can cause big problems- if it says it's for Hand Sewing don't use it- if it is for machine work---try it out-
    there are so many wonderful threads on the market- it's a shame to limit yourself -- the new varigated threads are fabulous! i love sewing with silk thread---it is so smooth--no lint---glides beautifully... don't limit yourself- educate yourself-
    starting at the source- a thread company