Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • At thrift shop today ... >
  • At thrift shop today ...

• At thrift shop today ...

Old 05-28-2011, 01:43 PM
    Bev

I just had to drum up some sympathy for myself right now.
    I happened to be in my favorite thrift shop today and was browsing through the linens section. There are two big racks of them, all hung on hangers. As I walked up I made a snap decision to start with rack #2. Don't ask why, I always start with rack #1. But this time I figured I'd go back and look over rack #1 after #2. Out of the corner of my eye, while I was flipping through the things on my rack and finding nothing special, I saw a woman walk up to rack #1 and after a second or two pull out a brightly colored quilt. I inched closer to see what she had gotten. I almost fainted .........it was a Courthouse Steps Log Cabin made entirely of silk in small narrow strips. She couldn't find a tag on it so she called one of the volunteers from the back and he put a price of $7.00 on it. He obviously knew nothing about quilts. The woman hurried out of the shop. I swear I could see her doing the "happy dance" across the parking lot as she rushed to her car.I've been thinking about it ever since I got home three hours ago. So I decided to send the story to the board and hope that'll help me get over it!! I'm not complaining about the woman, mind you. She got it fair and square. I'm wondering what on earth made me do something completely different from what I usually do. The quilt must have been meant for her, not me.
    Old 05-28-2011, 01:45 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head. The quilt was meant for her.
    Old 05-28-2011, 01:46 PM

she may have needed the quilt more than you did. Perhaps she got it for a sick friend... We can't change what happens, just our reaction to it. Maybe you'll spend that $$ later on something you want even more.
    Old 05-28-2011, 01:48 PM
    Bev

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    she may have needed the quilt more than you did. Perhaps she got it for a sick friend... We can't change what happens, just our reaction to it. Maybe you'll spend that $$ later on something you want even more.
    That's exactly what my daughter said.
    Old 05-28-2011, 01:49 PM

Bummer !
    Old 05-28-2011, 01:51 PM
    Google Goddess

I guess she needed it! wow, I hate when that happens, I guess you need to be faster

Craftybear

Originally Posted by Bev
    I just had to drum up some sympathy for myself right now.
    I happened to be in my favorite thrift shop today and was browsing through the linens section. There are two big racks of them, all hung on hangers. As I walked up I made a snap decision to start with rack #2. Don't ask why, I always start with rack #1. But this time I figured I'd go back and look over rack #1 after #2. Out of the corner of my eye, while I was flipping through the things on my rack and finding nothing special, I saw a woman walk up to rack #1 and after a second or two pull out a brightly colored quilt. I inched closer to see what she had gotten. I almost fainted .........it was a Courthouse Steps Log Cabin made entirely of silk in small narrow strips. She couldn't find a tag on it so she called one of the volunteers from the back and he put a price of $7.00 on it. He obviously knew nothing about quilts. The woman hurried out of the shop. I swear I could see her doing the "happy dance" across the parking lot as she rushed to her car.I've been thinking about it ever since I got home three hours ago. So I decided to send the story to the board and hope that'll help me get over it!! I'm not complaining about the woman, mind you. She got it fair and square. I'm wondering what on earth made me do something completely different from what I usually do. The quilt must have been meant for her, not me.
    Old 05-28-2011, 01:52 PM

Some days are like that!
    Old 05-28-2011, 02:23 PM
    Power Poster

sorry that you missed out. another time, maybe
    Old 05-28-2011, 02:29 PM

Who knows, but maybe that lady really needed something to uplift her.........calla
    Old 05-28-2011, 02:53 PM

I agree, the lady did need it....for herself or for a firend. Since she was so happy you know it has gone to a good home.Maybe better things await you. :)
    sass