Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Thrift Store Shopping--are you picky in what you buy? >
  • Thrift Store Shopping--are you picky in what you buy?

• Thrift Store Shopping--are you picky in what you buy?

Old 04-08-2011, 06:00 PM

Just went to thrift store today. Got 20 yds. for $17.00. Some are childrens prints, some plain colors, just couldn't pass these up. Most are cottons. So yes, I buy.
    Old 04-08-2011, 06:03 PM
    Power Poster

No I am more pratical than I used to be.
    Old 04-08-2011, 06:13 PM

Rarely find good fabric at any of the local thrift stores :( When I do, I buy. I like scrap quilts & the group I belong to does a lot of charity baby blankets, so as long as it's cotton & I can't read through it, I buy :)
    Old 04-08-2011, 08:46 PM

I've never seen fabric, but yesterday I found a 30 x 36 like new cutting board for $8.
    Old 04-09-2011, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Joanie2
    So, I am a thrift store junkie and proud of it. I have often found some really neat things. I've been reading a lot about some of the fabric finds you all are picking up and so I have a question for you --- are you particular about what fabrics you find and purchase at thrift stores or do you simply say to yourself "it's fabric! I have to have it! I don't need it for any project I'm working on but I simply can't pass it up. Surely I will find a use for it." ? I am starting to view my shopping in a different way in that I no longer purchase all the fabrics I come across just because the price is great. I look it over more carefully and ask myself if I will actually use it and I no longer buy it just because it's there. I'm getting more particular and thrifty with my thrift store shopping. How about you? Are you buying just to buy?
    I like to look through what fabric is there and pick the 100%cotton for my quilts. I also take what I know I will be able to use in those quilts.
    Old 04-09-2011, 03:50 AM

Kinda picky here. Even with true vintage fabric, I still want usable threads with color or patterns that I think will have appeal. I sometimes get donations (for 4-H use)of fabrics which I would pass by. I let the kids practice their stitches on these fabrics rather than have a possible mess up on something they really like - which would make them feel bad. I must say, however, that I have passed up some grays and browns which I regretted a year later.
    Old 04-09-2011, 07:20 AM

I have to see a project in mind or something that I am already working on before I will buy the fabric.
    Old 04-09-2011, 07:49 AM

We recently moved to our area six months ago and I have found that our thrift stores don't have much in the way of fabric. In SoCal there was one store I loved to go to because I could find pieces that were yards and yards. I would buy it if I thought I might have a use for it in the near future and the price was good. Up in NorCal I find the pieces too small for much of anything other than a scrappy (of which I'm not a big fan to put together 'cause I like "order") and the prices are sometimes quite outrageous. Sometimes I find great bargains on zippers but most of the time those are priced too high as well ($1.39 for a 7" zipper that was "donated"). So, I guess even though I am picky, the stores have helped me be even more picky. I always forget to look at the sheets for backing fabric.
    Old 04-09-2011, 08:04 AM

Love your cathedral quilt! Recently bought a book to do one but have another quilt on the quilting frame that is for hubby so I have to finish it and then go from there. how long did it tke you to complete???
    Old 04-09-2011, 09:24 PM
    Power Poster

Hesitate and it's gone! If you really like it, snap it up!