Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • to tie or not to tie >
  • to tie or not to tie

• to tie or not to tie

Old 08-14-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
    I've tied in the past and I'll tie in the future, I have quilted a few but to be honest, I've tied more than I've quilted. Also, I don't hand quilt, but since you're under a time constraint, I would go ahead and tie. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with a tied quilt, even though some people say that if it's tied it's not a quilt, to me, it's a quilt.
    Saying a tied quilt is not a quilt is simply silly. I bet their grandmothers and great-grandmothers tied many quilts. Would they say their grandmother didn't quilt? Some quilt police are ridiculous. I have tied several quilts when I did not want to take the time to hand quilt. I have used embroidery thread and yarn. I like the ones tied with ribbons, especially for a girl quilt.
    Old 08-14-2011, 10:43 AM

I tie all my quilts. I love how they look. I use embroidery floss and a dbl knot
    Old 08-14-2011, 05:46 PM

When she was 12 years old I taught my DGD to use a surgeons knot to ensure it stayed tied. (She wanted to use a square knot.) Since then she has made 7/8 flannel drag-around quilts for cousins. They have been washed and loved to death.

Surgeon's Knot - http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/surgeon's+knot
    Old 08-14-2011, 06:47 PM

I do not know a surgens knot so hope a sq one will hold!
    Old 08-14-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Barb44
    Originally Posted by pocoellie
    I've tied in the past and I'll tie in the future, I have quilted a few but to be honest, I've tied more than I've quilted. Also, I don't hand quilt, but since you're under a time constraint, I would go ahead and tie. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with a tied quilt, even though some people say that if it's tied it's not a quilt, to me, it's a quilt.
    Saying a tied quilt is not a quilt is simply silly. I bet their grandmothers and great-grandmothers tied many quilts. Would they say their grandmother didn't quilt? Some quilt police are ridiculous. I have tied several quilts when I did not want to take the time to hand quilt. I have used embroidery thread and yarn. I like the ones tied with ribbons, especially for a girl quilt.
    Who are these people, huh? The international Bureau of Quilt Enforcement? I keep seeing these types of posts. Someone told me my quilt isn't a quilt because I tied it, machine quilted it, used a pattern that was not a minimum of 100 years old, or had one stitch off on my sewing. Pete's sake! A quilt is a quilt! Now, if someone starts calling those knotted, no-sew fleece blankets quilts, I will call them out on it in a second, but come on. Who are these people, what is their problem and why aren't we slapping them in the face?!?!?!?!

Now that that's out, yes. Please tie your quilts if that suits you. It will be easier and a great start. And it is easier to use a high loft batting when you tie it rather than quilt it. That's my experience anyway. The true crime would be to never finish a quilt at all :)