Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Time for a New Iron >
  • Time for a New Iron

• Time for a New Iron

Old 12-13-2019, 09:01 PM

I always buy about a $25-30 Black & Decker or Sunbeam from Walmart--have had several over the years but more because I mistreat(drop, completely gum up with fusible, leave water sitting for long periods or don't clean out and our water is rock hard with minerals) them than they break. My one more expensive iron did not last nearly as long before it started leaking.
    Old 12-13-2019, 09:11 PM

I have two Black and Deckers that are both at least fifteen years old, no problems. I only use distilled water in them. I know has been dropped on the carpet at least once, no problems.
    Old 12-14-2019, 01:06 AM

I have an iron that I bought from the hardware store, of all places. It was quite affordable, under $20 if I remember right, but the number one thing that appealed to me is it doesn't have auto shutoff. It gets plenty hot.

Whatever you get, make sure you read the pamphlet that comes with it regarding using water. I know in the past some iron manufacturers have recommended using distilled water, but more and more lately they seem to say not to use distilled water. My current iron specifically says to use tap and don't use distilled.
    Old 12-14-2019, 02:52 AM

I have a cheap Black and Decker from Walmart. It’s at least 20 years old and it still gets good and hot. I use a spray bottle instead of putting water in it. If it stops working I’ll get another like it.

Rob
    Old 12-14-2019, 04:44 AM

I really like my Black and Decker iron. Use it every day. I have been known to gum my irons up with stabilizers when I've zoned out and they still r ok. I wouldn't spend a fortune on one.
    Not sure that translates into longevity.
    Old 12-14-2019, 05:01 AM

I have 2 irons. one is a Black & Decker the other a sunbeam. They both work great. I use steam occasionally in the sunbeam but only use distilled water in it. The Sunbeam is also used for travel as it is a smaller model. I just love them both. I have had the B&D now for a number of years and I got the Sunbeam a bit over a year ago. Some of the features on more expensive irons are nice but I could not justify the added cost.
    Old 12-14-2019, 05:14 AM

Also a B&D customer...purchased a Rowenta a few years back and it leaked in the first year. : /
    My B&D has been going strong for several years.
    Old 12-14-2019, 05:52 AM

I have bought expensive irons (Rowena) for years. My last one poured water. I like a heavier iron so I went shopping. I found a Hamilton Beach for less than $40. It doesn’t leak and it is heavy enough for me. I absolutely love it and will never purchase another pricy iron!
    Old 12-14-2019, 07:03 AM
    Power Poster

Almost always the instructions say let the iron got to steam temp before turning on the steam feature. With auto shut off the steam has to be turned off and on every time the iron starts to cool down. Not turning off the steam will make it spit, sputter, and leak as it reheats to steam temp.
    Old 12-14-2019, 07:25 AM

I am with you NZquilter on buying a Black and Decker. That is all I buy and I usually run up to Walmart and grab one and the last one I bought has lasted me for about 2 years. I too have heard no so good things about all of these very expensive irons that only last a short time so I am very leery of spending lots of money on one. BTW---my mixer (that I got for a wedding gift 50 years ago) just quit with a broken cord at the base. . They don't make things like they used to years ago. Good luck on your search for an iron.