Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Tip for flatter, more accurate seams >
  • Tip for flatter, more accurate seams

• Tip for flatter, more accurate seams

Old 07-29-2017, 06:22 PM

Try 80wt decobob. Its amazing for piecing
    Old 07-30-2017, 04:24 AM

Presencia 60 wt is the only thread that I piece with. It was recommended by Harriett Hargrave in a class that I took from her. She has done extensive research on threads, and Precencia 60 wt is her preferred thread for piecing.
    Old 07-30-2017, 05:03 AM

This is the reason why I switched to Aurofil, it also makes your quilt seams more accurate. It is strong but only has 2 strands instead of the normal 3.
    Old 07-30-2017, 08:30 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by JENNR8R
    Presencia 60 wt is the only thread that I piece with. It was recommended by Harriett Hargrave in a class that I took from her. She has done extensive research on threads, and Precencia 60 wt is her preferred thread for piecing.
    Harriet Hargrave is considered and expert in her field. Her knowledge is based on what she has learned over the years with certain products. Good products but new ones are just as good if not better. Not many seasoned teachers have the desire to devote their time to learning new products pros and cons. They stay with what they know.
    Old 07-30-2017, 08:37 AM

I have used Aurifil, but like Presencia a little better because it is finer and 3 ply.
    Old 07-30-2017, 09:13 AM

There are a lot of expert quilters and they all have preferences for what threads, scissors, pressing, etc. techniques that they use. Most of us have to depend on what we can get locally or what our quilt shops recommend.
    Old 07-31-2017, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
    I am curious about how strong 60wt thread is. That is very fine. My experience has found 50wt aurifil to be a really nice for piecing. I would try a pull test to see how easy or tough it is to break the 60wt. You can also spin you intersecting seams. Find a tutorial in the Quiltville site on FB. The thread does make quite a difference.
    The strength of the thread is not as important as you might think. After it is quilted, there is just a very short distance between quilting threads, and very little pressure is exerted onto that sewing thread.
    Old 07-31-2017, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Harriet Hargrave is considered and expert in her field. Her knowledge is based on what she has learned over the years with certain products. Good products but new ones are just as good if not better. Not many seasoned teachers have the desire to devote their time to learning new products pros and cons. They stay with what they know.
    Harriet Hargrave sells Presencia on her web site.
    I have found that lint production (or lack of it) matters a lot to me. I can use my iron and clapper to tame most seams, if I'm careful. I just hate cleaning the lint.
    But...the debate over what's best rages on.....
    Old 08-12-2017, 01:42 PM

Yes, I agree about personal preferences. I spent some time in a quilt shop recently. The staff person went out of her way to tell me about the thread she prefers for hand appliqué. She had a huge container with about 200 small spools of this thread. The colors were beautiful and the price for one spool not that much. But if I multiplied how many spools she had without any discount she received for buying them where she worked, it would become quite costly for me. Not to mention I already have my own favorite threads. But she was a good salesperson. I'll give her that.
    Old 08-12-2017, 08:33 PM

I've started using Aurafil 50 or 60 wt and it does make a huge difference.