Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A Tip for Matching Seams >
  • A Tip for Matching Seams

• A Tip for Matching Seams

Old 10-17-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by quiltnchik
    I've gotten so much praise regarding the pictures I posted of my quilts and what "great work" I do, so I figured I'd share my "secret." I can't take credit for this tip, but can't remember where I read it since it's been several years ago. However, I like to pass this on in the hopes of helping others who face the dilemma of having a difficult time getting seams to align. This may sound like it takes more time (an excuse I've heard repeatedly), but it's more efficient than having to rip out an entire row of stitching to fix seams that don't match...

When I have seams to align (in blocks and/or rows), I first pin them, and then I put about 5 stitches at each intersection (if your machine has a thread cutter, it makes it even faster to move from seam to seam). I then open up my block/row and check to make sure the seams are perfectly aligned. If they aren't, I only have the 5 stitches to remove (instead of an entire row of stitching), realign, pin, stitch again and recheck. If they are all aligned, I know I can sew the entire block/row and my seams will be perfectly matched.

I also discovered that the quilt police will NOT show up at your door if you have to "flip seams" to get them to butt up to one another. I had two mysteries started last year that I put off finishing forever; the blocks were done, but my seams were all running in the same direction, which meant I couldn't butt them against one another to get them aligned. They intimidated me, so I set them aside for months! Once I got frustrated enough and started flipping seams, my tops went together quickly and much more easily. In this case, your iron and steam ARE your friends, and your tops WILL lie flat! ;)

I hope this makes sense, but feel free to ask questions if you don't understand. Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question :D
    Hey I have that same wall hanging on my front door as I type.
    Old 10-21-2010, 06:29 PM

This is a GREAT tip! I just tried it and it worked so beautifully--it's what I've been seeking. Thanks so much!!!
    Old 10-21-2010, 07:31 PM

Thank you for the tips! Most of the time I press my seams open...easier for me to align the seams, but find that once-in-a-while the stitches at the end of the seams come apart and I have to end up using invisible thread to mend them once the quilt top is completely finished :x ...any one have a suggestion as to how I can avoid the seam stitches from coming out on the ends other than back stitching?...I prefer not to back stitch just in case I need to do some ripping out.
    Old 10-21-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Keepmelaffn
    Thank you for the tips! Most of the time I press my seams open...easier for me to align the seams, but find that once-in-a-while the stitches at the end of the seams come apart and I have to end up using invisible thread to mend them once the quilt top is completely finished :x ...any one have a suggestion as to how I can avoid the seam stitches from coming out on the ends other than back stitching?...I prefer not to back stitch just in case I need to do some ripping out.
    Use smaller stitches and it won't come apart. I use 1.8 on my Janome 6600
    and I don't backstitch either.
    Old 10-22-2010, 06:49 AM

I'm so excited about this tip! It doesn't make it take longer at all, since you have to pin the seams together at points anyway--but once you've taken the few stitches and you know that it's OK, you can really zip through the sewing of the 1/4" seam. It's much faster with this tip! Whoopee! :thumbup:
    Old 10-22-2010, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by carol45
    I'm so excited about this tip! It doesn't make it take longer at all, since you have to pin the seams together at points anyway--but once you've taken the few stitches and you know that it's OK, you can really zip through the sewing of the 1/4" seam. It's much faster with this tip! Whoopee! :thumbup:
    Glad it worked so well for you. It's the only way I put my blocks/rows together now - I HATE having to unsew a long seam, but I hate unmatched seams even worse ;)
    Old 10-22-2010, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    Originally Posted by Keepmelaffn
    Use smaller stitches and it won't come apart. I use 1.8 on my Janome 6600
    and I don't backstitch either.
    Thank You! I'll do that!
    Old 11-03-2010, 06:45 PM

I love this hint, and have told several of my quiltng friends about it. Thanks for sharing!
    Old 01-06-2011, 12:54 PM

I did a search for matching seams and found your tip. What a star you are. I was feeling fed up but am now excited about trying again tomorrow armed with your fab idea.
    Annie
    Old 05-15-2011, 02:41 AM
    saf

Great tip. If I had known this earlier it would have saved me a lot of time and frustration.