Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A Tip for Matching Seams >
  • A Tip for Matching Seams

• A Tip for Matching Seams

Old 10-14-2010, 04:02 AM

Great tip.My seam ripper may get a rest now.Thanks.
    Old 10-14-2010, 04:15 AM

Ronna: how do you use the glue for aligning the seams? Can you share this? thanks...went to your blog...looks great. Thanks Connie in California
    Old 10-14-2010, 04:16 AM

A couple yrs ago, I started taking a very few stitches where the blocks meet.I like knowing a row will be even.Works for me....BTW, doesn't take any longer than ripping out stitches.

Originally Posted by quiltnchik
    I've gotten so much praise regarding the pictures I posted of my quilts and what "great work" I do, so I figured I'd share my "secret." I can't take credit for this tip, but can't remember where I read it since it's been several years ago. However, I like to pass this on in the hopes of helping others who face the dilemma of having a difficult time getting seams to align. This may sound like it takes more time (an excuse I've heard repeatedly), but it's more efficient than having to rip out an entire row of stitching to fix seams that don't match...

When I have seams to align (in blocks and/or rows), I first pin them, and then I put about 5 stitches at each intersection (if your machine has a thread cutter, it makes it even faster to move from seam to seam). I then open up my block/row and check to make sure the seams are perfectly aligned. If they aren't, I only have the 5 stitches to remove (instead of an entire row of stitching), realign, pin, stitch again and recheck. If they are all aligned, I know I can sew the entire block/row and my seams will be perfectly matched.

I also discovered that the quilt police will NOT show up at your door if you have to "flip seams" to get them to butt up to one another. I had two mysteries started last year that I put off finishing forever; the blocks were done, but my seams were all running in the same direction, which meant I couldn't butt them against one another to get them aligned. They intimidated me, so I set them aside for months! Once I got frustrated enough and started flipping seams, my tops went together quickly and much more easily. In this case, your iron and steam ARE your friends, and your tops WILL lie flat! ;)

I hope this makes sense, but feel free to ask questions if you don't understand. Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question :D
    Old 10-14-2010, 04:20 AM

Thanks for the tip! I've never heard of that before and I'll use it! I've got a block/row piecing project right now...so perfect timing to use this tip!
    Blessings,
    MaryAnna
    Old 10-14-2010, 04:27 AM

great tip. I usually pin but sometimes they seem to move all by themselves and the seams don't match. I will try this next time.
    Old 10-14-2010, 04:31 AM

A teacher in a paper piecing class gave us the same tip of checking alignment with 4-5 stitches, but had us use a basting stitch on our machines. Then it's really easy to rip out if not what you want. You just have to remember to go back to your regular length stitch before sewing your seam.
    Old 10-14-2010, 04:42 AM

I'm not sure, either, what "flipping seams" is. I made a Bargello wall hanging and ironed the first row (and all odd rows) so the 1/4 in. seam material went up, and the even rows down so the seams matched up better. If that what you mean? Thanks. (By "rows" I mean columns, really.)
    Old 10-14-2010, 04:45 AM

great tip, thanks
    Old 10-14-2010, 04:50 AM

I love it. Reminds me of one of those mom sayings, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
    Old 10-14-2010, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by quiltnchik
    I've gotten so much praise regarding the pictures I posted of my quilts and what "great work" I do, so I figured I'd share my "secret." I can't take credit for this tip, but can't remember where I read it since it's been several years ago. However, I like to pass this on in the hopes of helping others who face the dilemma of having a difficult time getting seams to align. This may sound like it takes more time (an excuse I've heard repeatedly), but it's more efficient than having to rip out an entire row of stitching to fix seams that don't match...

When I have seams to align (in blocks and/or rows), I first pin them, and then I put about 5 stitches at each intersection (if your machine has a thread cutter, it makes it even faster to move from seam to seam). I then open up my block/row and check to make sure the seams are perfectly aligned. If they aren't, I only have the 5 stitches to remove (instead of an entire row of stitching), realign, pin, stitch again and recheck. If they are all aligned, I know I can sew the entire block/row and my seams will be perfectly matched.

I also discovered that the quilt police will NOT show up at your door if you have to "flip seams" to get them to butt up to one another. I had two mysteries started last year that I put off finishing forever; the blocks were done, but my seams were all running in the same direction, which meant I couldn't butt them against one another to get them aligned. They intimidated me, so I set them aside for months! Once I got frustrated enough and started flipping seams, my tops went together quickly and much more easily. In this case, your iron and steam ARE your friends, and your tops WILL lie flat! ;)

I hope this makes sense, but feel free to ask questions if you don't understand. Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question :D
    I learned this trick from Carol Doak in a paper piecing class. Never thought to do it with un-paper pieced seams. Good idea!