Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A Tip for Matching Seams >
  • A Tip for Matching Seams

• A Tip for Matching Seams

Old 10-14-2010, 08:45 PM

Great tip. I have also learned that seams "go where they want to go, and that's OK." Works for me.
    Old 10-14-2010, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
    I love the clapper too!
    I don't have a clapper..but a tiny dainty hammer fills in without a problem! :P Mine even has cute little flowers painted on the handle! Sometimes all those intersecting seams in the center of a pinwheel block need just a tiny bit of help! :thumbup:
    Old 10-14-2010, 09:59 PM

I'm am so very happy you posted these tips. These things have kept me from doing some of the many blocks that I want to do but put off until I could be a better quilter. If I could give you a big hug right now I would. Thanks so much!
    Old 10-14-2010, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by quiltnchik
    I've gotten so much praise regarding the pictures I posted of my quilts and what "great work" I do, so I figured I'd share my "secret." I can't take credit for this tip, but can't remember where I read it since it's been several years ago. However, I like to pass this on in the hopes of helping others who face the dilemma of having a difficult time getting seams to align. This may sound like it takes more time (an excuse I've heard repeatedly), but it's more efficient than having to rip out an entire row of stitching to fix seams that don't match...

When I have seams to align (in blocks and/or rows), I first pin them, and then I put about 5 stitches at each intersection (if your machine has a thread cutter, it makes it even faster to move from seam to seam). I then open up my block/row and check to make sure the seams are perfectly aligned. If they aren't, I only have the 5 stitches to remove (instead of an entire row of stitching), realign, pin, stitch again and recheck. If they are all aligned, I know I can sew the entire block/row and my seams will be perfectly matched.

I also discovered that the quilt police will NOT show up at your door if you have to "flip seams" to get them to butt up to one another. I had two mysteries started last year that I put off finishing forever; the blocks were done, but my seams were all running in the same direction, which meant I couldn't butt them against one another to get them aligned. They intimidated me, so I set them aside for months! Once I got frustrated enough and started flipping seams, my tops went together quickly and much more easily. In this case, your iron and steam ARE your friends, and your tops WILL lie flat! ;)

I hope this makes sense, but feel free to ask questions if you don't understand. Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question :D
    This little trick would become tedious if you do lots of colourwash and bargello...
    Old 10-15-2010, 02:12 AM

awesome tip thanks
    Old 10-15-2010, 03:23 AM

What a super idea will be using this one. Thanks
    Old 10-15-2010, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the tip; I know it will help me this Winter on my big projects.
    Mariah
    Old 10-15-2010, 03:46 PM

i should've had this tip earlier in the week as my corners do not match when i sewed the long rows together. i did do something similar, but they still didn't match up . i just left them. It's definately a galloping horse quilt! ha ha
    Old 10-15-2010, 04:59 PM

neat idea for the blocks. I just put together a few blocks for class tomorrow and found that if I pinned the seams together first then stitched them in that area they went together good too. Thabk you though as this is one I will try as my blocks have been more off than on. The seam ripper has become a good friend and that is not what I wanted in quilting.
    Old 10-15-2010, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the tips. I don't have a clapper, I use a pair of pliers on the bulky seams and "squash" them flat. Learned from my Mom when we were doing alterations and hemmed Jeans.