Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Tips of the Trade for a Beginner? >
  • Tips of the Trade for a Beginner?

• Tips of the Trade for a Beginner?

Old 04-29-2015, 02:46 AM

Default Hand quilting

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
    I took a beginners hand quilting class even though I had been hand quilting for years. And one of the things she did was provide each student with a quilt sandwich of 15 in square - some of it had a design lines and most of it did not. She told us to just sew without the lines so she could view what level she was teaching where to focus - but she also said that almost everyone needs a warm up period, so before you quilt your sandwich - take a few minutes to warm up on this scrap sandwich. That was 15 years ago but I still do it because I don't hand quilt that often and a bit of a warm up helps get the rhythm. Also there is a great book out there for hand quilting. "That Perfect Stitch" by D. MacEleroy. It is well worth the money.
    When I taught quilting I did just that, gave each student a practice sandwich.I told them to date each one they filled and it was lovely to see their smiles as they saw the improvements.I still use a practice piece to warm up as I now have bad arthritis.Also don't beat yourself up with tiny stitches at first,even stitches are more important.It's great to know so many still like to hand quilt.
    Old 04-29-2015, 06:26 AM

For a first quilt, if you can, I would advise to take a class. Many quilt shops as well as Jo-Ann's have classes, also online classes if there are none local. Get the generalized basic understanding, then just go crazy. Always remember, unless you plan on entering shows, your quilt, your rules. But first, you need that general understanding of how that works.
    Old 04-29-2015, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    Great for you to try to do hand-quilting first. I always encourage new quilters to start with a small project like a table runner since it is going to be a learning experience.

Exactly! There is a lot of expense involved in quilting and while I don't like to discourage you, I also don't want you to spend lots of money buy everything you need to make a queen sized quilt before you know if you like quilting at all!
    Old 04-29-2015, 07:00 AM
    Power Poster

I know I may hear some negative thoughts on this, but when you get ready to put on a backing. Please do not buy a bed sheet. I tried it once a long time ago and the results were not what I had expected. Invest in some good quality backing.
    Old 04-29-2015, 07:39 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Boston1954
    I know I may hear some negative thoughts on this, but when you get ready to put on a backing. Please do not buy a bed sheet. I tried it once a long time ago and the results were not what I had expected. Invest in some good quality backing.
    I think it depends on the sheet one uses on whether the results would be satisfactory or not.
    Old 04-29-2015, 09:15 AM

make something smallish - a lap quilt or bed runner. We need to see a completed project and pat ourselves on the back! Plan on it taking longer than you expect and don't 'overwork'. When you are tired - STOP. Rest and go back to it the later. We all have a project in the cupboard that we will probably never finish because it became work and stopped being fun. DO NOT BE overcritical of your work. The way to get better is practice. And many of the 'errors' you see, no one else will ever notice. They will simply be amazed that you did the project. Take their praise, enjoy it and start the next project. HAVE FUN, HAVE FUN, HAVE FUN
    Old 04-29-2015, 09:39 AM
    Power Poster

I can't offer you any tips for hand quilting, as I have only hand quilted one full size quilt, then I switched to machine quilting. I have taken quilt classes on hand quilting and I think the best advice I got was not to aim for the smallest stitches, but to aim for consistency, and making the stitches even. This may sound weird, but don't let anyone tell you that you cannot do something when you are making a quilt, or have them tell you a quilt is "too advanced or difficult". Go with your "gut", whatever you do, do it to the best of your ability and don't expect perfection. I believe the Amish deliberately put a mistake in every quilt because only God is perfect. Fortunately for me, that's not a problem, as there will always be some mistake somewhere, but fortunately I found them before I finished the quilt. The best advice I can give you is to enjoy the process of making a quilt, I like to think that I have left a little bit of myself in every quilt I make. Enjoy and welcome to the wide world of quilting as well as the Quilting Board where you can find friendly quilters who are kind enough to answer any of your questions.
    Old 04-29-2015, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by mickey13
    Does anyone have any helpful tips of the trade that I should know about when starting a quilt? And any recommended backing that is the best for one who hand quilts? I plan on hand quilting all of my quilts and I would love any advice that people have. Also any other tips that people know about that they learned through their quilting life that I would only learn from mistakes and experience? I'm so eager to begin but I'm also hesitant and I would love to do this first one right the first time.
    The best things that I learned as a new quilter?

1. That just because it says " quick quit" on the pattern, does not mean it is quick for everybody, so if it takes you longer, great!
    2. There is no reason to cut fabric fast, careful is better. If we can ride past, on a fast horse, and see no errors, it is perfect.
    3. Done can be better than perfect
    4. "Quilt police" are just folks, with their own imagination, telling them everything must be his/her way.
    5. The only right way to make any quilt is your way.
    6. My most important quilt rule, is to always measure twice, cut once. (Thank you carpenter's union for teacing me this. Saves me from wasting too much fabric!)
    7. If you start a quilt, and need to measure something a second time, be sure you are using the same ruler, because there are minor differences that can make assembly difficult. (Do not want to remake any cut pieces)
    8. If you get stuck, come here to the quiltingboard.com, try to post a picture, and this huge army of quilters will help you find a solution. Works every-time.
    9. Quilting is my hobby, and no, I do not take orders, work for free, make them for you so you don't have to, nor do I do mending or alterations. There are real people who do those jobs, and I am glad to give you a couple names....or teach you to do your own!

Welcome to your new, our old, addiction. Lol!

Last edited by madamekelly; 04-29-2015 at 11:36 AM.
    Old 04-29-2015, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by mickey13
    What do you mean am I going to quilt as I go? I assume that when I am making a quilt technically I am quilting as I go...right?
    No dear, you are speaking of quilting your quilt layers together after you have made a full top, with your hands making the stitches. "Quilt as you go" (QAG) is placing a backing, a batting, and pieces of a top, usually in squares or rectangles, that are stitched through all three layers, so when the square is done, it only needs to be attached to another square. It is already quilted during the creation of it. Go to youtube.com and put quilt as you go in the search box. That will make it much clearer than I have. Also, look for one that is hand quilting, and you will understand the difference.
    Old 04-29-2015, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I think it depends on the sheet one uses on whether the results would be satisfactory or not.
    Bearis gray- you are right, they can be used, but I always hear that they are a bear to hand quilt through, like batiks.