Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Tired of repeating the same block >
  • Tired of repeating the same block

• Tired of repeating the same block

Old 09-05-2014, 02:46 PM
    Power Poster

My sister has given me two books just filled with blocks to try. One has 200, and the other 501. You had stated that you prefer to do bed sized quilts. A sampler is just perfect for you. If you can find enough that you want to try. I tend to make a lot of lap quilts.
    Attached Thumbnails suzies-suggestion-quilt-group.jpg  
    Old 09-05-2014, 05:11 PM

Yes, that happened to me too. And, like you, I certainly admire people who can persevere in finishing so many blocks. So I've gone more modern. I make a limited number of blocks, sometimes the same block in various sizes, and arrange them in a sea of fabric. At first the fabric "seas" were solids, but now I'm using print fabrics in large chunks. I'm sure after a while I'll be tired of this way too and will move to something else
    Old 09-05-2014, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Terri D.
    When I run across a pattern like that, I go scrappy. Different fabrics reduce the eye fatigue you'd suffer by making every block with the same fabrics. It really does help!
    This is exactly what I was thinking. I would get completely bored doing the same block over and over. If you want to keep the overall look cohesive, you can use the same color fabric in the same place in each block, just vary the prints. I like to do medallion quilts for the same reason. The sewing isn't quite as repetitive.
    Old 09-06-2014, 06:23 AM

Nancy, it does start to get boring when you have to make a lot of one block. Even with assembly line piecing... yawn. Have you tried sewing a row quilt? Like a sampler, but with each row having a repeated block. There are some really pretty ones out there.
    Check out this search I just did: http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins...ts&rs=ac&len=9
    Old 09-06-2014, 06:26 AM

If I find a quilt I really like and it has a lot of repeating blocks I do several projects at the same time and only do one or two blocks and then move on to something else. I come back to that quilt several days later and do a couple of more. This makes it less boring and it is surprising how soon you seem to be putting it all together. This works for me and especially with paper piecing.
    Old 09-06-2014, 06:43 AM

I guess I'm in the minority. I am just finishing up my recycled shirt pineapple quilt, piecing the borders. Each block has 41 pieces and I made 56 12 inch blocks. When I am doing a big quilt like this one I tend to use the different elements as leaders and Enders while working on other projects. That's why quilters are all different. Some like simple, quick projects, others more involved projects. I guess I'm a mix of both. Started the pineapple quilt in January, but I've completed 12 other quilts in between, some large and some small. Make quilts that make you happy and not overwhelmed with the process. Finishing, in my opinion, is most important.
    Old 09-06-2014, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
    I tend to find patterns with larger size blocks (16" or 20" square) so I don't have to make so many of them. Many more modern designs fit this type of quilting. Also the 'improv' quilt blocks that are 'freestyle' and are all just a little different help ease the boredom, as well as using lots of different fabrics in each block.
    Me too. These type of quilts go together fast and are never boring. Bigger is better.
    Old 09-06-2014, 07:15 AM

I am in the same boat! I have several tops that are almost finished sitting in a tote because I got bored. I must have quilters block , I don't even want to quilt, I've taken up hand embroidery and crochet. I walk into my sewing room and I feel like the quilt fairies are staring at me and chanting "traitor! traitor! traitor!" Janey Janome, my best friend, quietly weeping and suffering from desertion! sniff
    Old 09-06-2014, 07:16 AM

I like One Block Wonders for this reason-- even though I'm sewing the same block, each one is different and I like the variation. Starting a new one today as a matter of fact.
    Old 09-06-2014, 07:23 AM

I love making samplers for that very reason!