Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Tired of seeing my same fabric/project >
  • Tired of seeing my same fabric/project

• Tired of seeing my same fabric/project

Old 05-26-2014, 11:13 AM

Stop and do a small project...a table runner or bag or whatever. Then you will be able to look at your quilt with fresh eyes.
    Old 05-26-2014, 11:30 AM
    Power Poster

I have been known to stuff a incomplete quilt top in a trash bag and toss. I have never felt guilty about it, in fact it felt pretty good.
    Old 05-26-2014, 11:43 AM

I also get burned out working on the same project for too long a time. To counteract this, I rotate among three or four projects, which may be in various stages of the process. I may plan and cut one, then switch to machine quilting another, then move to piecing yet another. Eventually, they all get finished, but I don't get mental fatigue slogging through an entire quilt from start to finish.
    Old 05-26-2014, 01:50 PM

Amen, sister! I have been working on a challenge quilt for the national Linus Project meeting for two months - finished it today, it's in the wash, I'll put on the Linus label and drop it off and never have to look at it again!
    Old 05-26-2014, 07:04 PM

Thanks everyone.. This quilt was put together, I tied it because I remember thinking that I would eventually take it apart and rework it into a different design.. Why ? I don't know. But I did take it apart, took longer then expected, then washed, starched, ironed, cut and now remaking the blocks. I will like it better than I originally had it but getting there is a pain. I don't have the money or the time to start another quilt but I do have a couple of tops that need sandwiching, and finished. Maybe I will do one of those next month.
    Old 05-27-2014, 09:10 AM

Been there, done that! Another reason to love doing samplers! And QYAGing them! Each block a new "quilt".
    Old 05-28-2014, 03:22 AM

I could never put a quilt aside and start something else. The first one would never get done and having UFO really gets me down. I do get tired of what I'm doing but work past it. Sometimes I will take a day or two off from working on it or more likely set a goal for what I want to accomplish that day such as sew three more rows together etc. and then do something else. By breaking it down into smaller chunks it seems less formidable. Usually I get to my benchmark and find that I want to do more so go on. Quilting and sewing is my fun activity. When it ceases to be that I need to step back and spend some time away until I really miss it and have a second wind.
    Old 05-28-2014, 03:40 AM

When I get to that point, I haul a TV and DVD player into the room and watch/listen to a couple of movies while I quilt. I takes my mind off the tedium and the time goes by much easier. (Normally I listen to music). It would bother me to have a UFO and I know that if I changed projects, it would definitely become a UFO!

For every quilt I've ever done, I've had at least a few hours of loathing it (and sometimes days on end). Like others here though, once it is done and washed, I usually fall in love with it again.
    Old 05-28-2014, 05:51 AM

I thought getting tired of a quilt in progress is part of the process. Always get sick of mine, but once done, they always look better later.....a while later. I prefer to go ahead and finish once started......otherwise they'd ALL be UFO's.
    Old 05-28-2014, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by LoisM
    Boy, oh boy! Can I ever relate to this! But I do as MaryMo suggests and set it aside and work on something else for awhile. It's kind of like cleaning your palate during a wine tasting party. LOL!
    This is me, too. I have several that I am working on at this moment.