Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • TL-2200QVP skipping stitches >
  • TL-2200QVP skipping stitches

• TL-2200QVP skipping stitches

Old 07-10-2024, 03:10 PM

Default TL-2200QVP skipping stitches

I just received a Juki longarm from a friend who inherited it & could never get to work. Juki is skipping stitches only when in stitch modes Precise and Baste. I have tried everything I can think of. I checked the presser foot height, bobbin tension, needle, and tried the top thread tension. I'm not sure about installing the needle. Any videos you can suggest? Or anything else to check that could cause this skipping?
    Old 07-11-2024, 03:35 AM

Have you checked to see if there is a Youtube video than can address the problems? My Janome 1600P was skipping stitches and then someone suggested I use a larger needle. Going from a size HL x 5 (14) to a HL x 5 (16) helped. Got a set of the larger sized needles from Amazon.
    Old 07-11-2024, 05:38 AM
    mkc

Are you getting holes where the stitches should be, or is it just making long stitches?

If the latter, it's the encoders. They need to make good contact to the rails since they tell the head how much it's moved. Make sure the rails on the table and on the carriage are clean and smooth, and that the encoder wheels are making good contact. Have someone watch to make sure they are rotating smoothly with the head movement. Also check to make sure the encoder plugs are tight and clean and that the wires aren't catching on something.

If you're getting holes, it could be too high of a tension, too small of a needle, or moving the head too fast.

Last edited by mkc; 07-11-2024 at 05:40 AM.
    Old 07-11-2024, 10:33 AM

I don't know what precise stitch is. I actually don't have a basting stitch on my APQS Lucey, but all I do is put it in stitch regulation mode and make the stitch as long as I can. This works just fine for basting the batting to the backing and the top to the backing and batting. It removes pretty easily when done. Do you use the precise stitching all the time? Interesting how the different macines work.
    Old 07-11-2024, 10:41 AM
    mkc

Originally Posted by sewingpup
    I don't know what precise stitch is.
    Precise stitch is usually regulated - stitches happen as you move and you set a stitch length. When you stop the head, the stitching stops; the faster you go, the faster the head stitches in order to keep the stitch length consistent.

Cruise is usually the term for non-regulated mode (where the head keeps stitching at a stitches-per-minute rate). Stitch length in cruise will change if the speed you move the head changes.

In precise stitch (and I'm guessing basting stitch is something like 1/4" stitch length, regulated), if stitches are long and there are no holes where a stitch normally should be, it means the encoders haven't picked up the movement on the head on the rails OR the signal from them hasn't been properly sent to the head OR the user is moving the head too fast for the encoders to keep up.

Since it sounds like the Juki stitches fine in cruise mode, it's quite unlikely for it to be a timing issue.
    Old 07-11-2024, 12:36 PM

I have the J350 Miyabi which I believe is the newer version of the 2200QVP. I get good results with a Gros-Beckert 110/18, which is a #4, needle when using 40wt thread. On my machine, I adjust the eye to the 5:30 postion. I usually stitch in cruise mode. I have to say, I've not been happy with precise mode but it could be me and not the machine - I am a ruler quilter and precise just doesn't work well with all my starts and stops. I adjusted my hopping foot to be a credit card width off the fabric when in the down position and that seems to be a good place. Finally, be sure that your fabric is not to taught as that can lead to skipped stitches, but that would most likely happen in all modes not just the two you are having diffculty with. Baste for me works fine so I don't have any ideas for that. Good luck. It is most likely something simple and not a timing issue.
    Old 07-11-2024, 01:50 PM

I agree with MKC - it's either an encoder issue or the needle is too small and is flexing as you quilt, which means it misses the bobbin thread.
    Old 07-11-2024, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper
    Have you checked to see if there is a Youtube video than can address the problems? My Janome 1600P was skipping stitches and then someone suggested I use a larger needle. Going from a size HL x 5 (14) to a HL x 5 (16) helped. Got a set of the larger sized needles from Amazon.
    I did watch a video that said to only use 134 or 134R needles and I have tried both of those. At this point the machine is not even picking up the bobbin thread. It was actually sewing some before I changed the needles. I am just very frustrated at this point. Thank you so much for your input
    Old 07-11-2024, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by mkc
    Are you getting holes where the stitches should be, or is it just making long stitches?

If the latter, it's the encoders. They need to make good contact to the rails since they tell the head how much it's moved. Make sure the rails on the table and on the carriage are clean and smooth, and that the encoder wheels are making good contact. Have someone watch to make sure they are rotating smoothly with the head movement. Also check to make sure the encoder plugs are tight and clean and that the wires aren't catching on something.

If you're getting holes, it could be too high of a tension, too small of a needle, or moving the head too fast.
    It is skipping, no holes and only at the beginning of the run and the end. Almost like when it slows down it skips. I well get someone to watch the encoders to make sure they are turning. Thank you!
    Old 07-11-2024, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup
    I don't know what precise stitch is. I actually don't have a basting stitch on my APQS Lucey, but all I do is put it in stitch regulation mode and make the stitch as long as I can. This works just fine for basting the batting to the backing and the top to the backing and batting. It removes pretty easily when done. Do you use the precise stitching all the time? Interesting how the different macines work.
    Long story short, a friend inherited this machine and she could never get it to work. She got tired of fooling around with it and told me to come get it--I did. I haven't been able to get it to work either so I haven't used of the stitch modes yet. It was just strange to me that when using manually the cruise & manual stitch mode were beautiful but, the precise & baste skipped at the beginning of a stitch run and the end of the run. It was like when slow it skipped and when it got up to speed is was fine. Very confusing to me. Thank you for your reply.