Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • today at the library... >
  • today at the library...

• today at the library...

Old 11-03-2012, 06:09 AM

ah, I love the library too......my tax dollars doing wonderful things.......our little town will be having a referendum Tues., in hopes of building a new facility.......we will see how that comes out.........my only concern is the fact that the computers in the library can access any website......at least that is what I understand.....freedom of information or some such thing........hopefully I am wrong....
    Old 11-03-2012, 06:41 AM
    Power Poster

We used to buy several books a week at Costco. Finally we realized we were spending a fortune on books! Now we frequent the library instead. We even sold/gave away the hoard of books we had accumulated, so now there's lots of room on the shelves... but the quilt books are taking over those shelves! I do attempt to preview quilt books at the public library, or at a guild library, but if they're too full of "good stuff" I have to have my own copy.
    Old 11-03-2012, 07:34 AM

If your local llibrary doesn't have something, remember to try InterLibrary Loan. I use this for access to the expensive reference books.

ali
    Old 11-03-2012, 07:48 AM

I never thought of my local library having books on quilting til a salesperson mentioned it. I have found wonderful books at the library, new and old. It's like a pirate's treasure chest to me to have found this source.
    margaret
    Old 11-03-2012, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by margee
    I never thought of my local library having books on quilting til a salesperson mentioned it. I have found wonderful books at the library, new and old. It's like a pirate's treasure chest to me to have found this source.
    margaret
    I was living in a small-ish city before we moved. But the library is wonderful. It has 4 full racks of quilting books!!!! I read so many books I would never have known if not for the library, eg the Gee's Bend book.
    Old 11-03-2012, 08:11 AM

Our local library has hundreds of quilting books. I know several of our guild members donate their quilt books when they no longer want them.
    Old 11-03-2012, 10:07 AM

The library is our favorite place to go since retiring. We go every week. My husband reads a book or two each week. I do more sewing, but I like to read too. I check out the quilt books, then buy them from Amazon if I like them enough.
    Old 11-03-2012, 04:58 PM

I go the library all the time. At my local one, they keep track of inquiries at the help desk. So I ask questions just to keep their count up. If we don't use them, their funds get cut. The computers are always in use by patrons.
    Old 11-03-2012, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
    I was at our local library yesterday and found out they are starting a new program today where children can read to a specially trained dog. I love this! What a great way for any child (but especially a shy child) to have fun and improve their reading. I am a former reading teacher so I was glad to see this.
    My best friend is an owner and trainer of one of these "reading" dogs. He is so fantastic. Huge dog...and ever so gentle. His name is Cannon and he is half yellow lab and half St. Bernard. He is a hit with the kids. She also has a Labradoodle who teaches fire safety.
    Old 11-03-2012, 05:10 PM

I love the library! Our library even loans out Nooks, (electronic readers). I enjoyed trying it, but I love the feel of a real book in my hands.