Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • today at the library... >
  • today at the library...

• today at the library...

Old 11-04-2012, 07:30 AM

I grew up with a Library right across the street...I think I read every book for my age group when available.....and I kept up the practice as long as I could. However, now that I have severe dry eye, I check out audio books for my Ipod.....for free....WooHoo! My friends all pay lots of $$'s, but not me.... I can even pick my choices out from home....it is definitely a wonderful place and sadly, so many of our young haven't much desire to read.......unless it's on the cell. Oh well, I'm happy and thankful that I was made aware of librairies early in my life.
    Old 11-04-2012, 07:55 AM

I, too, love books. I have been a voracious reader since....well..hmmmm....let's say a LONG time. I like to go into book stores, but usually know that I will leave empty-handed since new books are so expensive. We have a "used" book store in town and it is a great place. The owner is very aware of her stock and the store is bright and friendly. I usually purchase a couple of books at a time there. But the library is a different place....I always leave with something! I load 3 to 4 audio books on my iPod at a time and could not enjoy that past time without the library service. My iPod is my constant companion while quilting.
    Old 11-04-2012, 08:16 AM

I have been using the public library since my mom took me as a small child. For several years I bought a lot of books, but when I got ready to retire and was contemplating how to save money one of the first things I did was stop buying and going to the library every week. Saves a LOT of money. I also like to check out the quilting magazines to see if I want to buy them.
    Old 11-04-2012, 10:11 AM

Buying paperback books - what $4 - $7? Going to your library getting them in hard cover and if necessary in large print for $-0-. No brainer, and even if the library doesn't have what your looking for, they can get it through inter-library borrowing. Great and like others, it is a candy store for me. If you still feel you need to pay, donate the money you would have spent to the library. They will use it to buy more great books.
    Old 11-04-2012, 10:26 AM

I love going to the library and often donate books to the "Friends of the Library" for their annual sale. Unfortunately, my local library only has about a dozen quilting books. My primary source for books is Amazon. (The used books are more time than not in new condition.)
    Old 11-04-2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by LoisM
    I love going to the library and often donate books to the "Friends of the Library" for their annual sale. Unfortunately, my local library only has about a dozen quilting books. My primary source for books is Amazon. (The used books are more time than not in new condition.)
    Most libraries will order a book for their shelves if you request it. If they start getting several requests for quilting books and see they are being used, they will add to that section as they can. Try taking in the titles and publisher names of a couple of quilting books (just print the info from Amazon) and request that the library add them to their collection and see what happens.
    Old 11-04-2012, 12:55 PM

I miss having a local library so much, you are all so lucky. I pay 21.00 every 3 months to use a library 25 miles from home. I just checked out some interesting books ghost layers and stained glass. I also enjoy the talking books to listen to as I sew. Make use of your library they have so much to share.
    Old 11-04-2012, 04:58 PM

The first thing I did when I decided to start quilting was go to the library and check out books on the subject. Our local library is just a couple of blocks from my house, so it is very convenient. One book that I found myself checking out over and over 'The Quilters Catalog' a comprehensive resource guide by Meg Cox, I finally bought on Amazon because it contained so much valuable information. I appreciate your suggestions to let the library staff know that we appreciate them. I am ashamed to say that I never thought of that. They are always so helpful and courteous. I think this year near Christmas, I will make them one of my fresh apple cakes (my grandmother's recipe) and take that to them along with a letter thanking them for their dedication and service.
    Old 11-04-2012, 05:24 PM

I work at one of our county libraries. I love it. My friend orders the adult non-fiction books, and will periodically ask me, which quilting, sewing, needlework, etc. books we should order. We have had the privilege of having guest speakers and one of our most recent was Jennifer Chiaverini. They asked if I had a quilt they could display, and I told them I had not done any of the elm creek ones, but I had a whole cloth one that my great grandmother had made. (It was made out of tricot and is just gorgeous). I love the library, and I know our library does use patron requests to order books. I am trying to convince the one over the magazines which quilting magazines to order. We have them in libraries throughout the county, but not in ours. Hopefully she can make it happen.
    Old 11-04-2012, 07:06 PM

I always enjoy a trip to the library. I've been a reader since I was a kid. They offer a lot more now tho. I like to check out the 'friends of the library" section too - they have books for sale and the prices are good. Nice way to help out the library.