Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Too critical of your own work? >
  • Too critical of your own work?

• Too critical of your own work?

Old 06-04-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by bstanbro
    If I were perfect, how could I laugh at myself?
    This reminds me of a wall-hanging that I have. "Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused."
    Love it!
    Old 06-04-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by HeatherQuilts
    Originally Posted by bstanbro
    If I were perfect, how could I laugh at myself?
    This reminds me of a wall-hanging that I have. "Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused."
    Love it!
    Good one!
    Old 06-04-2010, 02:57 PM

Even though I'm now brave enough to let friends see my work, I struggle to not point out all the mistakes as they look. No evil spirits in my quilts, either :) :)
    Old 06-04-2010, 03:02 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by b.zang
    Even though I'm now brave enough to let friends see my work, I struggle to not point out all the mistakes as they look. No evil spirits in my quilts, either :) :)
    I suppose you could tell them that you know of x number of mistakes and see how long it takes them to find them all.

Bet it would take them a while.
    Old 06-04-2010, 03:04 PM

We are our own worst critics. I never fail to point out the mistakes in my quilts. If I would just keep quiet, no one but me would notice.
    Old 06-04-2010, 03:25 PM

If your quilting is perfect then it wouldn't be yours..someone once told me that. I find myself getting less critical of my quilting. After 25 years of quilting...I am still making mistakes and I am still learning. Since I have joined this group I have learned more then ever.
    Old 06-04-2010, 03:33 PM

I need to read this essay. I am still working on not being so hypercritical of my work. I'm PM'ing you.
    Old 06-04-2010, 07:08 PM

Quilting should be fun. In this century, we don't really need handmade quilts to keep us warm. You can poke fun at yourself if you strive for something more, but never let it stall your creativity or fun. Just create, have fun, and learn. If the end result makes you happy, yippee. If it doesn't, it will keep something beautifully warm or hang as a piece of art for someone that loves your vision. It might even serve as of reminder of where you started. If you're looking for perfection, you're going to have to make lots of quilts. Just send me your rejects!
    Old 06-04-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chele
    Quilting should be fun. In this century, we don't really need handmade quilts to keep us warm. You can poke fun at yourself if you strive for something more, but never let it stall your creativity or fun. Just create, have fun, and learn. If the end result makes you happy, yippee. If it doesn't, it will keep something beautifully warm or hang as a piece of art for someone that loves your vision. It might even serve as of reminder of where you started. If you're looking for perfection, you're going to have to make lots of quilts. Just send me your rejects!
    The first quilt I finished was an applique wallhanging. The pattern was called "Girlfriends." Oh my, it had so many flaws. My satin stitch was terrible. I was afraid some of it might come undone. It was not square. The quilting was very basic. The back was kind of rumpled. I gave it to her anyway with the warning that "It has many flaws. But I took great joy in making it for you." She cherishes it completely. She hung it in her hallway where she can see it when she comes out of her bedroom in the morning. What seems to flawed to us may turn out to be someone else's treasure.
    Old 06-04-2010, 07:59 PM
    Power Poster

I can't wait to see it.