Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Too critical of your own work? >
  • Too critical of your own work?

• Too critical of your own work?

Old 06-06-2010, 07:46 AM

You have to believe that a beautiful thing is never perfect.
    Old 06-06-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by bstanbro
    Originally Posted by hazeljane
    I always thing of the Amish, deliberately putting a mistake in the quilt because "Only God makes perfect." I laugh, because I NEVER have to add a mistake- there are always plenty already there.

For me, if it can be used and loved, and it was made the best that I can make it, it's fine. Quilts are love, and they shouldn't be stuck in a closet because the quilter doesn't think they are good enough. trust me, someone else will love it to death and appreciate it.
    You are so right. The Navajo intentionally weave mistakes into their beautiful rugs to let the evil spirits out. Definitely no evil spirits in my quilts.
    The reason BOTH of these make me laugh is that they think their work is so perfect that they have to put in an intentional mistake ~ ~ ~
    Old 06-06-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by allie1448
    I was recently given the advice of the 'three feet away'
    If you cant see the mistake three feet away from the quilt it does not count! lol
    I cant say I have achieved that yet but as a new quilter I am be happy when I can apply this rule!
    Oh, I heard that differently: If you can't see it while galloping by on a horse, then it doesn't count.
    My grandmother used to say "A blind man on a galloping horse will never see it!"
    Old 06-06-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
    I always thing of the Amish, deliberately putting a mistake in the quilt because "Only God makes perfect." I laugh, because I NEVER have to add a mistake- there are always plenty already there.

For me, if it can be used and loved, and it was made the best that I can make it, it's fine. Quilts are love, and they shouldn't be stuck in a closet because the quilter doesn't think they are good enough. trust me, someone else will love it to death and appreciate it.
    You are so right. The Navajo intentionally weave mistakes into their beautiful rugs to let the evil spirits out. Definitely no evil spirits in my quilts.
    The reason BOTH of these make me laugh is that they think their work is so perfect that they have to put in an intentional mistake ~ ~ ~
    Living in Amish country I've heard that, too, but in truth the Amish would never presume to be as perfect as God, and do not need to 'pretend' a mistake so they aren't as good as God. Perhaps the Navajo legend is the same.
    Old 06-06-2010, 11:17 AM

I KNOW! I've wondered about that too. I suppose they don't want to get to the end and realize there isn't a flaw in it anywhere! I just hate it when that happens.
    Old 06-06-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04

That's the way with these stories. They are "Urban" legends. Still I like the meaning attached. Who knows whether they are true or not.

Living in Amish country I've heard that, too, but in truth the Amish would never presume to be as perfect as God, and do not need to 'pretend' a mistake so they aren't as good as God. Perhaps the Navajo legend is the same.
    Don't know what happened to my post just now, but when I said update, it wasn't there. So.....

As I was saying, They may be urban legends. I like the meaning anyway.
    Old 06-06-2010, 11:58 AM

I totally agree with you.
    Old 06-06-2010, 12:43 PM

...snip...
    I KNOW! I've wondered about that too. I suppose they don't want to get to the end and realize there isn't a flaw in it anywhere! I just hate it when that happens.
    :lol:
    Old 06-06-2010, 01:02 PM
    PJO

I'm never completely happy with anything I make, but I have learned to live with my mistakes. 20 some years ago (when I didn't know how to make a quilt) I started making one for my sil that I never got finished. She passed away 3 years ago, so I waited to late to give it to her. I am just now finishing it, and it has tons of mistakes, but I'm going to finish it anyway and put it on my bed to remind myself to finish what I start so someone can enjoy it - mistakes and all. She would have loved it just because I made it for her. So please don't anyone be to hard on themselves. Love cover a lot of mess ups!!!!!
    Old 06-06-2010, 02:20 PM

I love to read it............You just described me.

[email protected]

Dorrie