Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Too critical of your own work? >
  • Too critical of your own work?

• Too critical of your own work?

Old 06-06-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by grandma Janice
    thanks for this thread, I needed to be reminded to not be so hard on myself. I am just finishing a quilt that has had me very discouraged.
    I know. I'm working on one like that right now. I'm determined to finish it but it is the most disappointing one I've done so far. I always say I learn something with every quilt I make. This one is teaching me patience with myself. I have arthritis too. Isn't it a bummer?
    Old 06-06-2010, 10:32 PM

I failed to give you my e-mail earlier requesting a copy of the essay. It is: [email protected] Thanks so much.
    Old 06-06-2010, 11:04 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by bstanbro
    I so often read posts where people are having a hard time enjoying quilting because they are so critical of their work. I keep wanting to share something, but I fear it's a copyright infringement. I think I have figured out a way to do it without stepping on anyone's toes.

When I learned to quilt two years ago, I took a course at our local community college. My quilting instructor did our class such a tremendous service by first reading an essay to us. It was the first thing she said or did. It's the single most important reason I have been able to be forgiving of my work and quilt for the sheer joy of it, becoming a better quilter in the process. (I still have a LOT to learn.)

It's an essay by Teri Christopherson entitled "The Perfect Quilt," and it's published in one of her books. I don't know which one. If you would like to read it, send me a PM with your email, and I will send it to you. (I don't think I'm infringing on a copyright if I do it this way. I'm not selling it after all.)

Until then, enjoy.
    plse send anything that will help.
    Old 06-07-2010, 05:09 AM

I would like to have that essay. e-mail [email protected]
    thanks.
    Old 06-07-2010, 11:54 AM

I have made and hung the most imperfect wall hanging that you can imagine in my sewing area. Wavy borders, poor machine quilting, uneven, you name a mistake I made it on this quilt. But it has a place of honor because as I become a better quilter I can easily gauge how far I have come. I proudly show it off. If I get a chance, I will post a pic of it so you can all have a good a laugh!!!
    Old 06-07-2010, 12:27 PM

This theme was perfect for me! I have always tended to point out my mistakes! I have struggled with thread tension when doing FMQ but I recently got a new Sapphire 875 machine with automatic tension so I am more satisfied with my machine quilting now. But, reading this topic and comments lets me know I am not alone! This board is truly awesome.

And, I am FMQ a baby quilt today and this is the first one I have done using starch/starch/starch! Oh my goodness - it is so much easier.

Have a good day all and Happy Quilting.
    Old 06-07-2010, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by bstanbro
    Originally Posted by janbeckley
    I am a new quilter, and was feeling badly because some of my corners did not line up. My darling daughter in law told me that her "quilts are not perfect either, but the love that goes into making them - IS" My son is responsible for the statement...
    Good one. I like that.
    I love that quote!!! It is so true!!
    Old 06-07-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Honey
    I was doing a block (Prarie Queen) and kept getting it wrong. Ripped 4 times. When DH asked why I was talking to myself I told him what happened. He said "it looks fine to me, you just made a new block. You can call this one Prarie King". That's when I knew I was taking it way to sereously.
    i was working on something and i sewed it not right sides together, so when i opened it up, it was 1 right side & 1 wrong side... since they were *^&&^& flying geese, i had to "unsew" it, and redo it....the 4th time i did it wrong. my dh was standing @ the bottom of the stairs.. he shouted up "glad to hear you're relaxing up there" i figured it was time to try relaxing & gave up for the night.

now when i go upstairs, he says (every single time) "going up to relax are you?" lol
    Old 06-07-2010, 02:47 PM

I read the sweetest story in a devotional book of two grandmothers teaching their granddaughter to quilt: one very critical and one very praising. The second grandma would say (and I use this ALL the time) "Who can tell the difference on a galloping horse?"
    Old 06-07-2010, 03:40 PM

I have a children's book that deals with this exact thing. It is called Regina's Big Mistake (can't remember the author) and I read it to my students at the start of the school year. The message of the story is that you will make mistakes but if you keep trying anyway, you'll end up with something beautiful.