Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • too much fabric >
  • too much fabric

• too much fabric

Old 01-23-2010, 09:53 AM

I have done the same thing many times! I prefer to finish the bolt especially if I really like the fabric. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked to make a quilt for charity or for a new baby at church and I didn't have to go to the store for anything! I could just take from my stash! My DH really appreciates this since I can't seem to leave the store with only what I came for! Have fun with the addiction!
    Old 01-23-2010, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by bibiche
    It must be bad when the people who work in the fabric store think you have too much fabric. My local fabric store was having a sale. I wanted two yards of a certain fabric, but well, there were only four yards total and it was only $2 a yard...

me:"I'll just take all of it. I'm sure I can find something to do with it."
    saleswoman:"Yeah, like pile it on top of all that fabric you already have."
    :|
    :oops:
    Sounds like the saleswoman is not a real quilter - just cuts fabrics!
    Old 01-23-2010, 10:15 AM

Oh, Misty Marie!!!! I LOVE your stash! It looks sooooo yummy!

There is no such thing as "too much fabric". Collecting fabric is a completely separate hobby from quilting, though the two can go hand in hand. My daughters drool over my stash-I share with them anything they want and I buy them fabric to add to their own stashes (and neither is a quilter!) I do not have to worry about where my fabric would go if I died. :)

About every 6 months my husband takes a good look at my ever growing stash and says to me "how many quilts do you think you could make out of all of this fabric?" I just smile and say "Oh, I don't know, maybe 25 or 30"* He nods and leaves, satisfied that I have not overindulged.

*the real answer is "HUNDREDS", but shhhhhh, don't tell him!!!
    Old 01-23-2010, 10:23 AM

A quilter can never have to much fabric.........
    Old 01-23-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by bibiche
    It must be bad when the people who work in the fabric store think you have too much fabric. My local fabric store was having a sale. I wanted two yards of a certain fabric, but well, there were only four yards total and it was only $2 a yard...

me:"I'll just take all of it. I'm sure I can find something to do with it."
    saleswoman:"Yeah, like pile it on top of all that fabric you already have."
    :|
    :oops:
    Pettiness or just plain goofy is what I think. I had a saleslady at a thrift store ask me if I danced around a fire (I am Native American). I looked at her and said, "yes I do, right in the middle if my kitchen." Then I walked out the door.
    What business is it of hers what and how much fabric you buy, it's her job to sell you the fabric not make comments.

Next time smack her with the bolt...lol.j/k
    Old 01-23-2010, 10:27 AM

This is so refreshing to see that I am not alone. I just love to go fabric shopping even when I don't have a project in mind. I figure that one day I want to retire and may not be able to afford lots of fabric buying, so while I'm still working I can load up. The question is what size cut do you buy if you like the fabric but don't have a pattern in mind? A yard? 1/2 yard? Fat quarter? I guess if you really, really like it you should buy 2 yards?
    Old 01-23-2010, 10:59 AM

as a anal organizer I am so lovin all your organization...what did use for dividers ? the white ones?
    thanks for sharing
    dee
    Old 01-23-2010, 11:15 AM

If we can't be in control of the "fabric of our lives", what else is there? LOL
    Old 01-23-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
    My reply would be "It's non of your business how much fabric I have. Just cut it and let me be".
    Yeah, but she cuts me 40"+ yards usually, so I try to be nice. ;)

The owner of the shop is a real piece of work and makes me laugh. Not long ago I was there and she asked "Let me guess, you're not here right now, you're stuck in traffic. And you're going to leave the bag of fabric in the car until your husband falls asleep and then get it and hide it. You've got secret stashes all over the house, right?" And then when I was leaving "See you tomorrow. And you know, we probably will. I think I see you more than I see some of my employees." Entirely possible. :lol: But they have great stuff and once it is gone it is gone. I've tried to cut back, really I have, but when I don't go in I worry that maybe they got THE fabric and I'm missing out on it. I think I might need a 12 step program. 8-)

ps Misty Marie, can I come live with you?
    Old 01-23-2010, 11:20 AM

How funny - not until today after all these years, did I consider my collecting material as an addiction....but at 57, I'm not going to let it ruin the rest of my life; in fact, it makes me happy!!! I can relate to "waiting till he is asleep to get it out of the car". It could be so much worse...right?