Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • too much fabric >
  • too much fabric

• too much fabric

Old 01-23-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
    The nice thing for me with my dh is that I tell him when I have as much fabric as he has bullets, then he can complain. (He NEVER has though.) Last night he walked into my fabric room and his eyes got really big. He just said, WOW! Looks like you got a lot of work in here to do, then walked out. Never a word about how much fabric. (I still have several more containers of fabric that haven't made it into this room yet to get organized.) Prior to this last month, I didn't really have any place to put my fabric where it could be organized, so my stash grew in large part because I didn't know where my fabric was, so I had to buy more when I wanted to do a project. Now, when I think about sewing, I can just walk downstairs and "shop" in my fabric room. Hallelujah!
    Can I come shop at your house lol! You have more fabric than my LQS and I am not joking!
    Old 01-23-2010, 05:27 PM

Our LQS is clearing out older fabric (fabric that's just not selling much anymore) so she's got them in a pile for $10 or $20 for the rest of the bolt. The $10 bolt has at least 4-5 yards left and the $20 bolt has 8+ yards. Great way to buy quality backing fabric.
    Old 01-23-2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by vickig626
    Our LQS is clearing out older fabric (fabric that's just not selling much anymore) so she's got them in a pile for $10 or $20 for the rest of the bolt. The $10 bolt has at least 4-5 yards left and the $20 bolt has 8+ yards. Great way to buy quality backing fabric.
    Now that is a bargain not to be passed up. I sure wishi I lived near you!
    Old 01-23-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by ctmhjenn
    Hey Misty, I would love to know what that wall unit, or rack is that you are using on the wall with the 1-2 yard fold pieces? Is it a local store item I can go pick up, or can you tell me what it is and where to find it? I am finally organizing my fabric just like you have yours..funny, great minds, same track teehehee...but that 'hangin' unit or whatever it is is great for those smaller pieces. I am slow at organizing, but I am going to get there. Signed on, on the other thread, to admit I am a fabric aholic, and will never go for the cure!
    My sister cut those white "boards" for me to fit my shelves. They are coroplast (that sign makers use) which is an acid free plastic 1/4" thick. I just slipped them in the shelves. (I did the same for my dresser drawers to hold my fat quarters.)

I was tired of my stacks falling over onto the stack beside or off the side of the shelf if I pulled the stacks out, so I asked her if she could cut them exact for me and she did.
    Old 01-23-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by 4dogs
    Misty, HOW do you have that fabric folded, so it stays on the shelf like that; like books at the library..I love the way you have it, but have NO idea how to go about folding it, to make it stand like that......please share with us how you do it....so I can be a copy cat...........4dogs/ Judy
    It is wrapped around coroplast and paper clipped (with plastic coated paper clips). I could never get it to stand up like that on it's own. I saw a website a few years ago that sold something similar, but by the time I got done paying for the shipping and the clips to keep the fabric on their boards, each board would have cost about $1.50, so I started looking for an alternative. My sister had some left over coroplast from a sign she had made and gave it to me to "try-out." It worked great and I now have over 300 of them in use. I only put the 2 yard+ cuts on them, so I know that I can plan a quilt around each fabric if I want to.

I suggested to her that she make the boards available on Ebay for other quilters and she has sold hundreds and hundreds over the last few years. She charges a lot less than those I have seen in quilt stores and on-line, so it is not that expensive to get organized.
    Old 01-23-2010, 06:21 PM

When my mother passed away my sisters and I divided her fabric. I am saving a piece of her fabric to pass on to the next generation of sewer in the family.
    Fabric is so relaxing to sit an look at the colors.
    Old 01-23-2010, 06:21 PM

That person should not be working there. If the owner knew what she said...............
    Old 01-23-2010, 06:38 PM

My sister owns a vinyl graphics business and she uses coroplast. It is an acid free plastic. She custom cuts the pieces for me. I use them to wrap my fabric around (on the bookcases) and use as dividers in my drawers and shelves. She sells lots of them on e-bay for quilters to do what I did. I love being able to see my stash without having to mess up piles when I just want to pull one or two pieces.[/quote]

What is she listed under and what sizes do you buy? I love this idea...
    Old 01-23-2010, 09:55 PM

I'am with you all. My DH said I could start my own store.. But I tell him I get most of it on sale and when I what to make a quilt or sew a new skirt or something I usually have it and don"t have to make that trip to the fabric store..
    Old 01-24-2010, 03:38 AM

My friend who owns the LQS asks me what I'm going to do with certain fabrics I buy. I usually say I don't know, I'll think of something.