Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Too much stash and too little motivation! >
  • Too much stash and too little motivation!

• Too much stash and too little motivation!

Old 10-15-2012, 12:01 AM

I did that trying to get birthday quilts done for 3 grandchildren. Now I am taking a private digitizing for quilt patterns and find there is little time to sew and I can't seem to motivate myself to sit down and sew a little also. I leave something out that I want to work on so I keep seeing it. Out of sight, out of mind is true for me.
    Old 10-15-2012, 12:08 AM

The virtual quilting days here on the weekend really hopes to modivate me...the encouragement from others. Posting progress and also seeing others work in progress. I love seeing what others are doing. The board of course is wonderful and full of encouraging quilters!
    Old 10-15-2012, 04:51 AM

I feel a great sense of accomplishment to see a guilt done. It makes me want to start another, but like you there are so many to choose from. I want to get that good feeling of a done quilt again, right away! Try to find a pattern you like, and break the project into steps. Then you will feel that good feeling of accomplishment by finishing one step at a time. If you are really sick of it, put what you have away, then when you want a new project, take it down again. I just took down a quilt that I had put away for later, and I found all I needed to finish it were the borders!
    Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 AM

I get this "burn-out" at times, so what I do is look at my stash all nice and neat and in it's place...the more I look at it, the more I hunger (yes, I said hunger) to create another work of art....
    Old 10-15-2012, 05:15 AM

Hopefully I can use all of these tips soon! I have most of my stash out where it can be seen so I don't have that "hunger" from not seeing it. Just the hunger to do everything I see to where it zips out the ability to do anything! Maybe I can get the kinks out by the weekend.
    Old 10-15-2012, 05:59 AM

Oh boy - do you ever sound like me. I have two tall bookcases just full of fabric and no enthusiasm whatsoever now. Maybe it's because we have had two funerals and our son was layed off work - are those excuses that are legitimate? However, they can't be 'cause this started several years ago and gradually got worse.
    Old 10-15-2012, 06:10 AM

When my girls were little, I rarely had time to sew, but I loved buying fabric and dreaming about projects. Now they're a little older and loving the fact that I can find just about anything in my stash. I still shop, but I am using up fabric I've had for a while...my quilts look "vintage"!
    Old 10-15-2012, 06:11 AM

It's hard to find time when working, so try going to quilterscatche.com and just making one block at a time of blocks that catch your eye. Put them away until you have enough for a quilt. One a week and by the end of the yr you would have plenty. I made my brother a stash quilt like that and he just loves it. If you take your time like that your not pushing yourself. It took me two yrs to make my dd quilt. lol
    Old 10-15-2012, 06:18 AM

Do you have a quilting friend in close proximity? When I get in a 'slump', I find piecing quilts with a friend very motivational.

Thank you for your service to our country and God Bless!!
    Old 10-15-2012, 06:20 AM

Tanya, You are officially a quilter---That's what quilters do! lol