Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Tooaz 20, Sapphire 930 or Janome 6650 or ? >
  • Tooaz 20, Sapphire 930 or Janome 6650 or ?

• Tooaz 20, Sapphire 930 or Janome 6650 or ?

Old 01-16-2023, 09:51 AM

If I was in the market for another machine, I’d evaluate what do I want to do that I can’t do on the machines I have. (Quilt md/lg quilts.) I have machines that do a marvelous straight stitch (Brother 1500SL-no computer). A light weight machine for taking to classes/group (Brother Pace Setter 300T). And does everything but wash dishes (Bernina 770).

As someone else has said, I’d consider what repairmen are nearby. And I mean EXCELLENT repairmen. That’s an hour drive for me. Because he’s excellent, I only make 2 trips (deliver and pick-up).

Since repair work is $150/pop any machine under $250 is disposable, not worth repairing. Since repair is totally an inconvenience to my quilting experience, I want a very reliable machine that stays away from the repair man. (Brother 1500SL)

Since all I really need is a machine that will quilt md/lg quilts, I’d only consider a machine with a throat at least 13”. Wouldn’t even consider a smaller throat, no matter what else the machine could do, And that probably means a sit-down med/long arm (no space for LA machine).

Now, the search is focused to under 10 machines. Then I can focus on quality, price, ease of use, storage in my house and repairs. And the main focus of the machines is doing an excellent job of quilting lg/med size quilts.

In my experience, every whistle added to machine compromises some other action of the machine. My dedicated machine that I use 95% of the time is Brother1500SL. Under $1000, easy to repair and most repairmen are willing and able to repair. It is not computerized, so if there’s no power, it’ll operate off a battery if I’m desperate. It’s extremely easy to use and very accurate. Very easy learning curve. I sit down and sew. Have no clue where the operating manual is. Don’t need it.

Priorities; which is most important to you?

Last edited by petthefabric; 01-16-2023 at 10:07 AM.
    Old 01-16-2023, 04:54 PM

Great machine review Petthefabric!!