Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Took inventory, so to speak >
  • Took inventory, so to speak

• Took inventory, so to speak

Old 07-24-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by jacie
    I looked with much envy at all these lovely stashes. I had a large stash also, however, last year while we gone for the winter, thieves took every bit of fabric,buttons,thread,scissors,cutters, ect. out of my sewing room, I guess of all that was taken, I cried most about my sewing room .. at age 75, I still love to sew, and surely can not afford to replace all that.insurance was dubious about 125 as an estimate of thread alone, so you see? we came out one the short end for that room. All was taken from the house except our upholstred furniture, t.v. waher dryer, ect. silverware, linens and all our dear collectibles. not sobbing, nor complaining, just thank ful all our children are ok, God is still in control. and soon , we hope, the thieves will,meet justice.

just venting maybe.. anyone got extra let me know.

jaciew
    That is horrible. I cannot imagine your sorrow.
    Old 07-24-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kherrin
    I will have to live to be 250 to use all the fabric I have...I have gotten so bad...I hide it from my husband when I get home from shopping! Really, really need to clean out again, but have been doing that with my local quilt guild...we make quilts for hospice and two different organizations for baby quilts. Maybe one day I will be able to see the floor of the two walk-in closets the ceiling to floor cabinets in my sewing room, the cedar chest and the chest plus god only knows how many bins in my storage shed! HELP!!!
    Sounds like you ladies would be a great addition to our Pay It Forward thread here on the Quilting Board. I really enjoy it when I am able to help someone out, and am so appreciative when someone can help me with something I need. It's one of the best "feel good" threads we have, I think.
    Huggggs and smilessssss,
    Old 07-24-2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
    I am stocking up for when I retire. I won't have the money to buy as much fabric so I'll have a stash to pull from.
    That's my story also, and I'm stiicking to it!!! None-the-less, it is true. I have 6 cabinets that are 18" w X 18"d X 6' tall ALL filled to the edge w/fabric I've been collecting since 2000 when I started quilting.

For the first 3-4 years, I only had a 2 shelf bookcase and it was crammed and then I started buying online; too, too many good buys. Bought 4 sets of 12 FQ's each a few days ago online. Original price on each was $35.99; bought all four sets for $45 plus shipping; couldn't resist and they are wonderful; going to make handbags and totes with them; will donate some to our 2011 quilt show boutique, some for gifts and some for ME!!!

I plan to retire in about 2 years; after that the spending will cease!
    Old 07-24-2010, 05:53 PM

So far, I haven't had any problem finding those who can genuinely benefit from my fabrics that I choose not to keep. I have read that thread and I think it is great.
    Old 07-24-2010, 06:20 PM
    Banned

I'm stocking up for when I retire, too! My husband thinks making quilts are a waste of time so I'm buying now while he is at work so he won't see what I purchase!!!

Originally Posted by josi49
    Originally Posted by littlehud
    I am stocking up for when I retire. I won't have the money to buy as much fabric so I'll have a stash to pull from.
    That's my story also, and I'm stiicking to it!!! None-the-less, it is true. I have 6 cabinets that are 18" w X 18"d X 6' tall ALL filled to the edge w/fabric I've been collecting since 2000 when I started quilting.

For the first 3-4 years, I only had a 2 shelf bookcase and it was crammed and then I started buying online; too, too many good buys. Bought 4 sets of 12 FQ's each a few days ago online. Original price on each was $35.99; bought all four sets for $45 plus shipping; couldn't resist and they are wonderful; going to make handbags and totes with them; will donate some to our 2011 quilt show boutique, some for gifts and some for ME!!!

I plan to retire in about 2 years; after that the spending will cease!
    Old 07-24-2010, 06:27 PM

Well it looks like most of us have the same problem. I am forced to sew at the kitchen table now because I can no longer get into the sewing room. I have a path that gets me to most of my cabinets but one of my machines is still in there and my 5 drawers of notions are still there too. I slide in as best I can and reach for fabric hoping to get something that works. What a problem we have. I don't know any way to solve it other then to continue not to buy any more fabric or notions. I have 3 irons. Each time one came out that I liked I bought it. I was thinking of running some ads on ebay. What do you do with an excess of notions?? I can't believe I am the only one.
    Old 07-24-2010, 06:41 PM

I don't have as much as you do but its right up there. I told myself I wasn't going to buy any more at least through the end of July but I might extend that to the end of Aug. I need to use some of it up first. I do love having a stash though so I can't let it get too low! LOL
    Old 07-24-2010, 06:53 PM

I have been blessed for sure....and I do share my fabric with anyone who comes to the house and sews with me or my MIL who is a seamstress and I often donate boxes and boxes of fabrics that I decide I am not really going to use anytime in the next 20 years....I also donate my books and magazines...there is a guild not far from me that actually has a library that I have donated too....I never feel guilty about my stash...I worked hard and God Blessed me well with it....I don't have any other habits to spend my money on...so fabric is cheaper than my shrink...I gave her up 4 years ago...heheheh....blessings
    Old 07-24-2010, 08:04 PM

I have been giving fabric away to the senior center quilting group. Two weeks ago they got 3 big boxes and I am sure that they will be getting more as I continue to sort out the fabrics and notions that I no longer need or want. Anything else will probably go to the local charity that give to girl scouts and other groups like that.
    Old 07-24-2010, 08:51 PM

During my reading of this topic the thing that struck me the most is how organized so many of you are. Some could perhaps be professional organizers.
    Lisa