Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Took inventory, so to speak >
  • Took inventory, so to speak

• Took inventory, so to speak

Old 07-27-2010, 09:13 PM

The other question is what happens when you have exactly the right fabric but not enough of it? That's why I dont stash.[/quote]

What happens when you have exactly the right fabric but not enough of it? You IMPROVISE!! And every time I've done that, I've ended up with something much more interesting than the first idea. Quite often, my first idea would have been stagnant, but the shortage of "right" fabric forced me to be more imaginative and creative.
    Old 07-28-2010, 02:23 AM

I can relate totally---my son surprised me and came for a visit--he lives in England just south of London. Well, he said he wanted to go through my stash and see if there was any he wanted to take back to make some quilts. It was tough, but I sent him home with a small suitcase full. I have been weeding out lately and organizing fabrics into kits to make and these were ones that I had no particular use for. I will feel good knowing that they are over there being used by him.
    Old 07-29-2010, 09:17 AM

I am not sorry to say that I can't not stop buying fabric, I love to go antiquing and flea markets and if I see fabric I bee line right to it and if it is what I like I will buy it. My boyfriend said he is going to have to build another room on the house just for my material...
    Old 07-29-2010, 09:20 AM

I do the same thing and if anyone in my family has a problem with that, that's too bad. I used to live alone, now have two grandchildren who are in my custody. If I see something I like and can afford it, I buy it. My son thinks I have too much fabric, etc., already, but in my opinion, if it makes me feel good to buy it for "future" projects, that's really my decision, not his. If every seam of my house were bursting with fabric, it's still my decision. No one else's.
    Old 07-29-2010, 09:32 AM

Totally agree; am not a drunk, a drug addict, or an animal hoarder. You can get very nicely to my front door, the bathroom, bedrooms and kitchen, thank you. So what's the problem with these people?!?! My oldest son is a computer geek and has every electronic apparatus known to man. I think my habit is a lot cheaper than his; if you don't count my sewing machines and all their accessories. When I ask my grandchildren what they want for birthday or Christmas it is always something I make. To me that is more than all the riches in the world.
    Old 07-29-2010, 10:44 AM

I agree wholeheartedly. My granddaughter (10) who lives 200 miles away wants me to teach her to quilt. She was here over the 4th and we got a few lessons in. My daughter said she is quilting right along with the limited lessons she got. Makes my heart sing to have at least one of my 13 grandchildren take on my addiction. She loves fabric and I can't wait to go to her house and "help" her shop for fabric. What a trip that will be.
    Old 08-08-2010, 06:53 PM
    Bev

Originally Posted by nativetexan
    that's exactly why i just gave away bags and bags of fabrics. I won't live long enough to use it all. nor have the energy. as it is, i've slowed down a lot!
    I feel the same way. I, for sure, won't live long enough. I'm serious, not kidding. Recently I figured out that according to my family's ages at death, of natural causes, I have about ten years left. Of quiltmaking, I mean. That is if I can stay well right up to the end, which seems almost impossible. At this point I probably have enough stash to last me fifty years. So, I've decided to make out a "quilter's will." That way my DH and kids will know what to do with all my stuff. I want it to go to those who will use it for good purposes, which would mean quilts of course.

8-)
    Old 08-10-2010, 12:51 PM

GREEN WITH ENVY!!!!!!!!
    Old 08-10-2010, 12:52 PM

Ditto!
    Old 08-10-2010, 01:07 PM
    Power Poster

I have been sorting, washing and ironing my stash for a week and a half now and still have about a third of it to go. :~( I had it in another room that had a much larger closet, but hubby wanted it all in the room he moved me to. Lordy, it is embarrassing! I had no idea the stash I had untill I began this organization!

But, when I am finished, I will not have to do the prep work I used to have to do. I am getting the heebeegeebies wanting to get back to my sewing though. This is more like work than fun!

The sad part is when you start a project there is always a missing fabric you have to go and get. Even with tons of fabric.