Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Tool for squaring HST >
  • Tool for squaring HST

• Tool for squaring HST

Old 03-13-2009, 08:03 PM

I want opinions on the best tool to square off half square triangles. This week I made 40 half-square-triangle blocks. The block finished size was 3 1/2 inches square. With the measurement I used the blocks came out roughly 4 inches square. That was OK with me bc I'd rather have to trim a little off and get a square block the right size than to have a block that's too "close" and not squared. I have a 12 1/2 inch square ruler with very nice markings for each size of block. It is so awkward (or should I say I am so clumbsy -- you know, arthritis, age, stroke effects, etc.) to use that large ruler. I have a six-inch square, but it didn't have the markings I needed for the 3 1/2 inches and the 45 degree angle line.

My question is what tool do you use to square off your HSTs?

Thank you Shadow for your guidance in posting this thread.

Gail
    Old 03-13-2009, 11:28 PM
    Administrator

i use the EZ line of rulers for just about everything now. they're easy to use; it's easier to see the markings and measurements; and they usually cost less than any of the other brands.

i use the Easy Angle to cut my HS triangles and recently pried the $$$ out of my wallet for the Companion Angle for the big inner triangles in flying geese. The Easy Square Jr 6-1/2" ruler works very well for squaring off wonky HST patches.

i don't own stock and they don't pay me to brag about them. (although they probably should. :lol: )
    Old 03-14-2009, 01:03 AM
    Izy

Gail, I don't have any special templates, only the home made plexiglass DH made me.

I use the markings on my Olfa cutting mat, lining the block up carefully on the 45 deg line and the inches ....does that make sense?? :D
    Old 03-14-2009, 01:55 AM
    Administrator

it makes perfect sense. and it's perfectly sensible because it doesn't cost one extra dime. :thumbup:

i didn't always use specialty rulers. i don't spend money on tools that are good for only one thing - especially if they're only good for one size of that one thing. unfortunately, my eyes and coordination are not what they used to be. i was relieved to find some rulers that serve many purposes in many sizes that didn't divert toooooo terribly much from my fabrics and foods budgets. even then it took me two years to pry the pennies from my stingy paws to pay for them. :lol:

Old 03-14-2009, 06:33 AM

I usually share Patrice's sentiments about $$ - I normally don't pay full price for anything and having so much fun out of the 'hunt' should probably be illegal :D I have found a couple specialty rulers that have saved me much time and aggravation tho - one of them being the Quilt in a Day Triangle Square Up ruler:

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...p?i=1087&page=

The ruler squares up half and quarter square triangles from 1" - 6 1/2" and - the best part - can be found at Joann's and bought with a 40% off coupon :wink:
    Old 03-14-2009, 06:38 AM

Roben- I have the square up ruler and it is great. You lay the line on the stitch line and you only make two cuts and it is squared up to the size you want. A real time saver. You will still need to trim off the littlle tags.
    Old 03-14-2009, 06:59 AM

I, also have a 6 1/2 in. Easy Angle ruler that I have been using for cutting
    2 1/2 and 4 1/2 in. pieces for a project I am doing. It is great.
    Old 03-14-2009, 09:09 AM

Thank you all for your input. I definitely will need to go shopping. woohoo!

In the meantime, I'll use one of my 6 1/2 inch rulers and draw the markings I need. No more handling of that big 12 1/2 in ruler unless I really need it for big squares.

I love this board! Thanks again from the bayou land of South Louisiana.
    Old 03-15-2009, 05:43 AM

Yesterday went to TAP PLASTICS and had a 2 1/2 x 12 inch ruler made
    of clear plastic for cutting strips. Cost $1, can't beat that. It will work
    great for cutting strips. Going to make a list of other sizes and go back
    for more. Yippee!!!
    Old 03-15-2009, 08:51 AM

I was at the Mid-Atlantic show and purchased a ruler from the "Quilt in a Day" collection that is specially designed to cut half- and quarter-square triangles. I always make my triangles slightly larger and then trim them down. The fit much, much better this way. I haven't actually used the ruler yet, but the instructions look easy, and you can use it square up pieces up to 6 1/2 inches.