Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Toss All My Plans Out the Window? >
  • Toss All My Plans Out the Window?

• Toss All My Plans Out the Window?

Old 01-10-2015, 06:47 AM
    Power Poster

A tummy time quilt would still be great if they have room to pack it. Money always is appreciated and it travels easily.
    Old 01-10-2015, 06:50 AM

I agree - go for it - you can always put flannel instead of batting to make it lighter. Babies always need a little something over them in air conditioning imho.
    Old 01-10-2015, 07:48 AM
    Power Poster

Get quilting Auntie! Airconditioning can be chill, and even living in good 'digs' can be a bit sterile and comfortless, when you are far from home. I lived overseas for a few years and the quilt/blankets and homemade baby things we were given and sent meant the world to me and my boys when we were so far away.
    Old 01-10-2015, 08:39 AM

Even when we were in Guam (lowest it got was 68*F at night) my kiddos had their "blankies".
    Old 01-10-2015, 09:02 AM

I would make the quilt! Not only can the baby use it while she/he is small, it will be a keepsake.
    Old 01-10-2015, 09:17 AM
    Power Poster

Just because adults can tolerate A/C doesn't mean children can. Babies get chilled. If it were me I would just proceed forward with your plans. My neighbor's newborn granddaughter just cried so much she called me over. Now granted it gets really hot here by mid April (often earlier). They only had a onesie and a diaper on her in the bedroom. Her crib was in direct line of the vent for the central air. They're pretty large people. This baby was only about 8 1/2 lbs. No cover what so ever. I picked the baby up went into her room and grabbed one of her quilts with the flannel. First I took a blowdryer and warmed it up and wrapped her in it. Within just a couple of minutes, that baby was quiet and drifting off to sleep. She was cold. Babies are most comfortable in warm and cozy. They're used to mommy's tummy temp. I was informed Mom and Dad slept all night long after that also and didn't have her in their bed.
    Old 01-10-2015, 09:47 AM

I agree, I always tell loved ones I give baby quilts to that it is meant to be used on the floor or in the yard not the crib. They usually have a color and style picked out for the crib and bedroom. My quilts are for playing and floor time thats why they are washable. Make the quilt, besides there are really light weight batting you can get now so it would not seem like a heavy quilt if they want to use it for sleeping.
    Old 01-10-2015, 11:00 AM

I agree with everyone who already posted, for all the same reasons already stated. Make the quilt, just as you had already planned.
    Old 01-10-2015, 11:30 AM

I would definitely contine with your plans. Remember every stitch in a quilt is filled with love.
    Old 01-10-2015, 11:34 AM

I use my quilt year round. We live near the Gulf of Mexico where it is warm most of the year (except for a few days in Jan and Feb.). With air conditioning, there is always a need for light covers.