Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Totally bad experience at LQS >
  • Totally bad experience at LQS

• Totally bad experience at LQS

Old 10-29-2010, 08:53 AM

I am so sorry that happened to you. My LQS even remembered my first name when I went back the second time. I actually wish I could get there more often to give them the business instead of doing so much on line, but it's hard for me to get there, but I will go back. I guess it just depends on how much the owners want business. And how petty they are. Find another shop.
    Old 10-29-2010, 09:07 AM
    Banned

Unfortunately I think this LQS experience isn't all that unusual, for some reason. Here in Austin a small specialty fabric shop opened a couple of years ago, and when I went in to check it out the owner appeared from the back (shop is in a non-optimal location near a busy intersection). I was the only customer in the shop (and dressed nicely, I might add). She acted as though (1) customers actually weren't welcome in her shop and (2) as if she wondered if I was there to rob her. Because she had the item I needed, and because I try to support women-owned businesses, I bought the item I needed and even came back twice after that. She never introduced herself to me and never got any friendlier, either. All three times I was the only customer there. Recently on her email newsletter she was imploring people to shop there so she could stay in business. Big surprise that she is having difficulties!

Dana
    Old 10-29-2010, 09:19 AM

I wish all retail business owners had a copy of this thread. They'd be shocked, I think, at how important it is for us, the customers, to feel welcomed and appreciated.
    Old 10-29-2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
    I wish all retail business owners had a copy of this thread. They'd be shocked, I think, at how important it is for us, the customers, to feel welcomed and appreciated.
    I AGREE!!!!!!!!!
    Old 10-29-2010, 01:57 PM

Oh my! Watch for the going-out-of-business sale! And, they deserve the shame! Still can't believe the snobs!
    Old 10-29-2010, 03:39 PM

Wow, just awful. They will not be in business too long if that is how they act.
    Old 10-29-2010, 03:51 PM

How can people be rude when they are surrounded by all that fabric....if it was me Id be an absolute joy to be around.
    Old 10-29-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Wow, these stories are simply amazing!!
    As the saying goes, " It takes all kinds".
    I would think in this awful economy people would
    be tripping over each other to make a sale but
    there appears to be a lot of apathy around :(
    " i hear there's a lot of ignorance and apathy out there--but i don't know, and i really don't care..."

i love a place that has as much enthusiasm as i have. if they don't, or if they look down their nose at my jeans and t-shirt, phooey on 'em. i'm a white haired granny who wears clogs or boots; my jeans are my trademark. i listen to loud, age-inappropriate music, but i have money to spend on quilting and fabric, and i will do that where i am welcomed!
    Old 10-29-2010, 07:49 PM

I shop all the sales at JoAnn's and all the clerks are so friendly and have big smiles when they see me. If I haven't been in for a couple of weeks they get worried about me and comment on it the next time they see me. We only have 3 places in the entire county where we can buy fabric so I sometimes do have to order online. I try to buy locally if at all possible.
    Old 10-30-2010, 03:42 AM

We have a VERY snooty quilt shop in town... very very snooty. I will never go in there again. I didn't have that horrible of an experience there but having been in there twice and leaving feeling inferior twice, I will never go back there again or suggest to people to shop there.

We do have other quilt shops that are much nicer to be in... which is a relief. It's nice to go places where they are nice.

There is a place on yahoo I think that you can review local stores....
    I would suggest typing up what happened and submitting it. I would rather drive to the next town over than to be treated poorly...

http://local.yahoo.com