Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Trading in one brand sewing machine for another? >
  • Trading in one brand sewing machine for another?

• Trading in one brand sewing machine for another?

Old 03-14-2014, 08:33 AM

I think it depends on the store and how they handle trades, my dealer takes anything but he is a large volume dealer with 5 stores so that probably makes a difference if its a small shop
    Old 03-14-2014, 08:57 AM

I agree with everyone on you can't get what you'd like out of a machine with a trade in. However, right now Viking has a $500 trade in for any machine you can haul in. I don't know what yours is worth but that's a good deal. They also have some other deals right now depending on how much you want to spend and what you want it to do. I guess I would consider selling it yourself to get the most out of it.
    Old 03-14-2014, 09:38 AM

There is a yahoo group called "sewitsforsale" for selling sewing-related things, machines, accessories, fabrics, ect. I've sold two machines on there and bought my Bernina 440. You have to be able to pack really well for shipping, though.
    Old 03-14-2014, 05:32 PM

I am a member of the "sew it's for sale" group on Yahoo and sewing machines are sold on there daily. Join and observe for a while and see if you would be interested.
    Old 03-15-2014, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by sval
    I called the store. They don't take trade ins of non Berninas. And suggested selling it online. That can be a huge hassle. Guess I'm stuck with it.
    I need a vacay.
    good! Gives you more negotiating power "without a trade". That trade allowance is really bargaining power on the side of the dealer.

Which Janome do you have? If it is not too old or used too much, someone will want to buy it.

sandy
    (a HUGE Janome fan)
    Old 03-15-2014, 03:49 AM

I bought a machine on sewitsforsale and I will caution you that if you can't try it first you might be disappointed. The one I bought was supposedly serviced by a dealer and when I got it there were things wrong with it. His solution was for me to send it back across the country so he could look at it. I didn't! Just be careful with buying sight unseen. Getting a machine from a dealer is always the best choice because you will have a warranty and a place to go should things go wrong.
    Old 03-16-2014, 02:51 AM

Actually after going to the Bernina Dealer on Thursday, after being assured they do take trade ins, I discovered they were willing to give me 500 for it. It is a 7500 machine. Don't think so. The gal went through all the trouble of showing me several different machines and then dropped that bomb on me.
    And also after using the Bernina I like the Janome I have better. If I could just get the needle threader to function properly I'd be good to go.
    My Janome has so many more stitches on it, a wider throat and even though I don't embroider that often, the capability is there. I use the cloth guide, which is part of the embroidery function, to get a great seam.
    So if nothing else, it was good to see what's out there that I thought I wanted.
    If anyone else has a Janome with a fussy needle threader let me know what to do about it. That little metal thingy that's supposed to come through the eye of the needle is off to the side.
    Old 03-16-2014, 03:41 AM

I have been an observer on this board for a couple of years now, never really participating until today. However, I wanted to share with you that I have a Janome 1100SE and absolutely love the machine, however, I have experienced problems with the needle threader not threading, and found that the thread that I used made a big difference. There was one thread that I used that would not work with the self threader. Check with different threads. Good Luck.

Too bad you were closer to my area, my local quilt shop is also a Janome dealer, and they can't do enough when I can in a bind with my machine. Telephone support is great!
    Old 03-16-2014, 03:42 AM

sval, I suggest if the needle threader is off, take it in to get it fixed. That's way cheaper than buying a new machine.
    Old 03-16-2014, 04:40 AM

My dealer told me that the size of needle that works best is the 90/14. That made all the difference. I love my Janome's. If I hold the thread by the end a little bit my needle threader works better with the smaller needles. My best to you!