Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Traditional 3 layer quilts vs Summer Quilts >
  • Traditional 3 layer quilts vs Summer Quilts

• Traditional 3 layer quilts vs Summer Quilts

Old 08-22-2013, 06:52 AM

Interesting topic! I often don't need much more than a sheet to cover up with but wanted a quilt. It's made with large pieces for fewer seams and less weight (at least in my mind), a very light weight cotton on the back and the thinnest, lightest batting I could find because I did want the quilting to show a bit. It's been washed several times and although I sometimes wake up and need to toss it off for a minute (some of you will understand this), it's worked out great. For hubby, just the opposite. His is actually small versions of the 10 minute block (which were a pain to manipulate with 5" pieces), thinsulate batting and fleece backing!
    Old 08-22-2013, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Wendys Quilts
    Sue, here is my Carpenters Star backed with flannel, no batting. I did not get a picture of the back tho. My son loves this quilt. He has put it on his bed. makes me feel good that he has claimed it lol. You can see the quilting on the black tho. I am currently working on a tumbler quilt, testing with fleece. Will let everyone know how it goes with the fleece.
    That is a beautiful quilt - I love the bright stained-glass look - and it looks nice and soft too thanks for posting!
    Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 AM

I have been quilting now for about 5 1/2 years and I am finding that my tastes are changing. Don't get me wrong I really love making quilts with three layers. However, I am finding that I am really liking making Summer Quilts with just the quilt top and a nice flannel backing. Now, if I do a quilt for a gift I will be doing Traditional. But for just quilts that I have laying around the house, I am liking Summer quilts. I think Summer Quilts for children would be good because of the fact they can bunch them up and drag them around and not be so heavy. I did ask some friends on my Facebook and it was pretty much either way is good. lol My mom said she actually preferred Summer quilts as well.

What say my Quilting Board friends, Traditional 3 layer quilts or Summer Quilts? I know it is all personal preferences, but I am just curious how many others out there prefer doing Summer Quilts over Traditional quilts...

Wendys Quilts
    I like the puffy look of three layers. But two layer quilts have a use.
    Old 08-22-2013, 11:31 AM

I actually love a lighter weight quilt , even in NY I just pile more then one on the bed when it gets cold ! Mine are 3 layers, so still " technically " a quilt, I just use a thin fleece ( NOT the polar fleece , the kind like the dollar store throw blankets are made of ) in the middle. This gives it just the right weight, not too heavy and not too light !
    Old 08-22-2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    By all definitions, a quilt has three layers joined by stitching. Two layers does not a quilt make. Summer quilts, to be called such, still have three layers, just a much thinner center layer, like flannel as Mdegenhart said.
    two layers not a quilt???????????? PIECED or not pieced is what determines the description of a quilt for me.
    Old 08-22-2013, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    I consider the quilting itself is just as integral as the piecing. If there is no quilting, I would not consider the pieced unquilted 2 layers a quilt.

I veiw the texture created by quilting just as much art as piecing. Even when I hand quilted I felt that way. As the old saying goes, the quilting makes the quilt. So count me as traditional.
    Again, I considered piecing as the defining quality of a quilt. And for personal sized quilts, I tack, so a quilt in my mine.
    Old 08-22-2013, 11:41 AM

Sue, here is my Carpenters Star backed with flannel, no batting. I did not get a picture of the back tho. My son loves this quilt. He has put it on his bed. makes me feel good that he has claimed it lol. You can see the quilting on the black tho. I am currently working on a tumbler quilt, testing with fleece. Will let everyone know how it goes with the fleece.
    I just realized something. All this time I thought CARPENTER'S STAR was just another name for CARPENTER'S WHEEL. There is a slight difference. The wheel block has a square in the outside corners. Otherwise the blocks are the same.
    Old 08-22-2013, 11:51 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    Again, I considered piecing as the defining quality of a quilt. And for personal sized quilts, I tack, so a quilt in my mine.
    So by your definition I guess you wouldn't consider a whole cloth a quilt nor something like hawaiian applique.

Look up the definition of quilt in any dictionary, on line or book form.
    From Dictionary.com a coverlet for a bed, made of two layers of fabric with some soft substance, as wool or down, between them and stitched in patterns or tufted through all thicknesses in order to prevent the filling from shifting."

From on line Merriam Webster
    a bed coverlet of two layers of cloth filled with padding (as down or batting) held in place by ties or stitched designs

From Cambridge Dictionary
    a covering for a bed, made of two layers of cloth with a layer of softfilling between them, and stitched in lines or patterns through all the layers:

You can define it any way you want to. Candace and I were going by the accepted definition found in dictionaries. A pieced top does not a quilt make. It is simply a pieced top until it is united with the other layers and quilted or tied or tacked.
    Old 08-22-2013, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    So by your definition I guess you wouldn't consider a whole cloth a quilt nor something like hawaiian applique.

Look up the definition of quilt in any dictionary, on line or book form.
    From Dictionary.com a coverlet for a bed, made of two layers of fabric with some soft substance, as wool or down, between them and stitched in patterns or tufted through all thicknesses in order to prevent the filling from shifting."

From on line Merriam Webster
    a bed coverlet of two layers of cloth filled with padding (as down or batting) held in place by ties or stitched designs

From Cambridge Dictionary
    a covering for a bed, made of two layers of cloth with a layer of softfilling between them, and stitched in lines or patterns through all the layers:

You can define it any way you want to. Candace and I were going by the accepted definition found in dictionaries. A pieced top does not a quilt make. It is simply a pieced top until it is united with the other layers and quilted or tied or tacked.
    Sorry, I did not include each and every example of what a quilt is. Yes, whole cloth is a quilt. Yes, appliques are quilts. Sorry, for my mistakes.
    Old 08-22-2013, 07:31 PM
    Banned

I make both, but admit I lean more towards traditional 3 layer quilts.