Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Trembling Hands >
  • Trembling Hands

• Trembling Hands

Old 03-19-2013, 09:24 PM

Default Trembling Hands

I have a disease called Essential Tremors, the symptoms resemble Parkinsons Disease. My hands tremble uncontrollably only when I am trying to eat, cut veggies, cook, etc. When I am at rest, they are fine. I am finding it increasingly harder to cut my fabric using the rotary cutter. I am so afraid of cutting myself, and plan on purchasing a pair of Klutz Gloves to protect my hands. I know that eventually the tremors will become worse as it is a progressive disease.

My question: Is there anyone else on this board who has similar issues, and how do you get around the process of cutting your fabric. Hubby has eyesight issues, so he really can't help.
    Old 03-19-2013, 09:29 PM

The accuquilt is helpful. Make sure to speak with your doctor and verify that you are on the best treatment. I wish you well and definitely be careful.
    Old 03-19-2013, 10:23 PM

Maybe try buy some of the pre-cuts so that you don't have to do as much cutting yourself. I think the Accuquilt might be just what you need for sure. I have a brother-in-law who has the same thing and he says drinking a glass of wine helps him but maybe that is not a good thing to do before picking up a rotary cutter!
    Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 PM
    Power Poster

I second all the ideas others have suggested. Also Friskars is putting out a new updated ruler with an attached rotary cutter. It might be safer to use. Keep quilting. Maybe there is some one that is willing to precut for you. Prayers and hugs.
    Old 03-19-2013, 10:33 PM

My mom has that. The OT recommended we buy her weights for her wrists . when she wears them she can hold eating utensils/cups without shaking and spilling. I don't know if it would make a difference for you but it might be worth a try. We found them at Walmart- fairly inexpensive- in the sporting goods area
    Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 PM

What about the rotary cutter that fits into the slot on a special ruler forgot name . Also look at westlee tools they may be useful. My problem slightly different . Have to cut right handed but my left hand is weak and I have difficulty keeping ruler still. Westlee have a piece to hold fabric which means I can use a handle and hold in one place. No walking up the ruler. Unfortunately left hand too weak to cut fabric. Personall the name unable to remember may help you. The rotary is specially designed I have found I tend to push it with the palm. The blade fit snuggle in the slot on ruler and slide up. New blades on a more regular basis than normal also help.
    Old 03-19-2013, 11:15 PM

A friend has arthritis so bad she can't cut for long. When she has a lot to cut, she brings it here & I cut for her. She made some thread trees for me. Another friend has asked me to help her cut out a quilt. It's just the give and take of friendship
    Old 03-20-2013, 01:22 AM

I agree that the accuquilt is awesome. I have a hard time getting straight lines cut (I have got to be learning disabled LOL) and this solved my problem.

And the suggestion of a friend is a great one, perhaps you can instill a love of quilting in someone new.
    Old 03-20-2013, 01:44 AM

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters

Originally Posted by petthefabric
    A friend has arthritis so bad she can't cut for long. When she has a lot to cut, she brings it here & I cut for her. She made some thread trees for me. Another friend has asked me to help her cut out a quilt. It's just the give and take of friendship
    That's lovely!

I had a friend with essential tremor, was not fun for her either. The wrist weights and Klutz gloves sound like a great idea.
    Old 03-20-2013, 02:44 AM

If you don't mind paying postage, I'd be willing to help you out by cutting.