Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Triangles Baffle Me >
  • Triangles Baffle Me

• Triangles Baffle Me

Old 03-27-2018, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
    This is why I love my EZ angle ruler. If you need the setting trangle to line up with a block that is 6.5" unfinished, you cut a strip at 6.5" wide. Then you use the angle to subcut it. Since it has the "dog ear" at the top already gone, you're cutting a larger HST than you'd get if you went point to point.

Yes, doing this way you will end up with the bias on the outer edge, but to date, that has never caused me a bit of problems.

You may have been lucky so far....but to be on the safe side I prefer either the old formula of cutting a square into four sections having the SOG on the edge...or to save on fabric invest in the ruler that specifically is designed for QST....I do believe EB, F&P, and maker of Easy Angle offer them.........jmho
    Old 03-27-2018, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by cjsews
    Look on quiltville.com. Bonnie Hunter has a chart with dimensions to cut setting triangles
    Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    Bonnie Hunter has great info on setting triangles. She provides the math and a chart:
    https://quiltville.com/onpointmath.shtml
    Thank you ladies/gents! Bonnie Hunter is a wonderful reference that is not and forever bookmarked!

Originally Posted by Krisb
    So...what is going wrong? The blocks in the runner may not be coming out at 6.5” unfinished. Did you square them up before you put them together?

Those pesky double diagonal cuts can be harder than they seem. If you measure one of the short sides, it should be a tiny bit over 6 7/8”. The dog ears extend past the edge of the block to which you are attaching the triangle, and your seam, if perfect which mine never are, intersects right at the raw edge.

Mine never do. I just start with slightly bigger triangles, like 10”, slice them twice diagonally, attach them, and trim the edge to make sure there is a 1/4” seam allowance past the points.

The four corner triangles are cut from 5 1/8” triangles sliced once diagonally; I would probably use 5 1/4”. Again, you can always trim later.
    I apparently had mass late-night beginner panic. I also did not understand that I would have dog ears, so I thought I went very awry. I have managed to put almost the length of the quilt together, once I got going it assembled very quickly.

I cannot thank you all enough for the assistance!