Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Trip to Mary Jo's In Gastonia NC >
  • Trip to Mary Jo's In Gastonia NC

• Trip to Mary Jo's In Gastonia NC

Old 10-13-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by nancylee
    Is this a famous quilt shop? Gaston, NC, is one of the worst animal shelters in the country. Any dog or puppy that is shy or black they call unadoptable and kill in their gas chamber. They kill up to 90% of the animals that are brought in or found. I wish the people in the area would demand that the shelter is even slightly humane.

Sorry, I just saw the name, and that shelter has made me cry many, many times. I have done dog rescue (I am in NY, and bring pups and dogs up from high kill southern shelters) and I hate Gaston.
    Peace,
    nancy

Mary Jo's is located in Gastonia, NC. It's a very well known shop. I've never heard of Gaston.
    Old 10-14-2011, 05:13 PM

You will have a great time. I was there last week. My son and his family live in Clover, SC. which is about 20 minutes away. It is a must stop for anyone visiting nearby. Enjoy!!!
    Old 10-14-2011, 05:27 PM

(THEY)are not ready for you 3. Have a blast.
    Old 10-14-2011, 05:45 PM

It's the same place. I hate that the people in the area don't do anything about that horrible animal shelter. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, I just get sick when I hear that place.
    Old 10-14-2011, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by nancylee
    Is this a famous quilt shop? Gaston, NC, is one of the worst animal shelters in the country. Any dog or puppy that is shy or black they call unadoptable and kill in their gas chamber. They kill up to 90% of the animals that are brought in or found. I wish the people in the area would demand that the shelter is even slightly humane.

Sorry, I just saw the name, and that shelter has made me cry many, many times. I have done dog rescue (I am in NY, and bring pups and dogs up from high kill southern shelters) and I hate Gaston.
    Peace,
    nancy
    Instead of putting us down, come down here and help us fight. We ARE fighting it! The use of th gas chamber has been banned. They are currently using injections. I personally know of 5 rescues that pull adoptable dogs and cats out of their on a daily basis. There is only so much we can do without the state support. Gaston is a poor county. 30% of the people are either unemployed or underemployed. There are only 5 Animal Control officers, 360square miles, mostly rural. Usually only 1 officer covering the whole thing most weekends. The Animal League of Gaston County and many local rescues are at every board meeting. We are currently trying to eliminate tying out your dog. We helped get it passed in Charlotte, we'll get it passed here too!

Have the facts!!
    Old 10-15-2011, 04:01 AM

lucky you , only went there once but loved it.
    Old 04-06-2012, 06:24 AM

Going to Mary Jo's soon. Visiting our son in Charlotte NC, pasted the shop on the way in - Oh my heavens, my car wanted to make that right hand turn right now! I am trying to have patience but just want to go now. My DH jokes about the house smelling like thread ! But he likes the quilts I have made so I think I should have a great time. Picking up backing fabrics for a queen size and god only knows what else.
    Old 04-06-2012, 06:30 AM
    Banned

Man - do I envy you and your friends.
    First learned of Mary Jo's from Nancy Crow years ago.
    For those Board members like me who can't get there, she has a wonderful on-line selection and service.
    http://www.maryjos.com

Last edited by gollytwo; 04-06-2012 at 06:34 AM. Reason: to add web site address