Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Trouble With Best Press >
  • Trouble With Best Press

• Trouble With Best Press

Old 12-11-2014, 11:39 AM

Default Trouble With Best Press

When I use Mary Ellen's Best Press with my iron i get black spots on whatever I'm ironing. I made sure my iron was clean and it still happens. It seems to me that the coating from the iron comes off onto the fabric. This does not happen when I don't use Best Press. Here are some photos. Has anyone had this happen or have any idea how I can stop it from happening?
    Old 12-11-2014, 11:44 AM
    IQ2

I've had staining problems with best press on light color fabrics also. I think it scorches. I now use a cooler iron when I use it.
    Old 12-11-2014, 11:57 AM

Does your iron have a Teflon coating? I wonder if the Best Press doesn't play well with Teflon. Mine is stainless and depending on how much I use it I have to clean the plate off often or it does build up.
    Old 12-11-2014, 12:16 PM

Yes it does have a dark coating. I've only used Best Press a couple of times.
    Old 12-11-2014, 12:36 PM

I tested it on low and it still happens. I think the coating on the iron comes off with Best Press. It's probably time for a new iron anyway. Some of the coating has been scratched off from pins and the iron is probably 10 years old or more.
    Old 12-11-2014, 12:55 PM
    Power Poster

Teflon isn't made to be heated to high heat as it releases a gas. That's why it isn't on cooking pans anymore. Non stick surface is not Teflon. If your iron says Teflon coated then that is probably the cause of the reaction.
    Old 12-11-2014, 12:59 PM

FYI! Teflon gas kills cage birds. That info has been out for years but I'm posting just in case some of you are new to bird keeping and still own teflon pans.

Definitely time for a new iron.
    Old 12-11-2014, 03:15 PM
    Power Poster

I get white dots on my Rowenta when I don't let the spray starch soak into the fabric first.
    Old 12-11-2014, 03:22 PM

I did a little research and the coating is called "Magnaglide". No mention anywhere of it being Teflon but I'm still not quite sure of exactly what it is. Either way, I do believe it's time for a new iron.
    Old 12-11-2014, 03:31 PM

I actually got spots on DGS's dress shirt recently while using Best Press. The shirt is a very light blue, 100% cotton, but says that that it is "wrinkle free" so it must have been treated with something???. My iron is new and has a stainless steel (I think) sole plate, any way is not a coated surface. The spots were not discolored or dark but looked more like water spots or a grease spot would look. I did notice that the spray kind of beaded up on the fabric, but didn't wait for it to dry. Luckily, I did this early in the day and was able to re-wash the shirt and the spots came out. He was on his way out of town to girlfriend's sorority dance and his mom asked me to press it even though it was supposed to be wrinkle free. You know how that goes, I was trying so hard to make it just right! Oh, well, in the end it was fine, repressed without any kind of spray! looked just fine! Best Press is our go-to really good product usually and I think it was the shirt.