Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • True Confessions >
  • True Confessions

• True Confessions

Old 04-15-2011, 10:08 PM

Red fabric. I need to make a few of those redwork type quilts to move some fo the clor but I always go back and get more. I dont know why.
    Old 04-15-2011, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    batiks well over 800 yards in my stash
    WOW! I'm jealous.
    I like notions & rulers - have a friend who is a precise, fast, prolific quilter & she uses her 2 rulers for everything - cutting, squaring, everything. I "need" one for each type of project. :+)
    Old 04-16-2011, 07:47 AM

I have found a very worthwhile cause for my fabric that I will never use. One friend in my quilt bee belongs to a group of ladies that make cough pillows for hospital patients. I decided to clean out my stash and donate to this cause. It felt so good to do this. The group is so grateful, and I know that it is going to a great cause.
    My quilt group also has donated to a senior nursing home. They have sewing machines that residents can use. Every time a delivery of fabric is made, the residents are so thrilled. Hope this is a helpful way for many of you to recycle your leftovers.
    Old 04-16-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by daisydell
    I have found a very worthwhile cause for my fabric that I will never use. One friend in my quilt bee belongs to a group of ladies that make cough pillows for hospital patients. I decided to clean out my stash and donate to this cause. It felt so good to do this. The group is so grateful, and I know that it is going to a great cause.
    My quilt group also has donated to a senior nursing home. They have sewing machines that residents can use. Every time a delivery of fabric is made, the residents are so thrilled. Hope this is a helpful way for many of you to recycle your leftovers.
    I like your worthy cause. God Bless you.
    Old 04-16-2011, 10:53 AM

Rulers and templates and cutters oh my. Now I have just added three more June Taylors to the mix, thanks to this board.
    Old 04-16-2011, 11:02 AM

Nothing. I'm just getting started and haunting thrift shops and yard sales trying to find cheap fabrics and books and supplies. Not too much luck, though I evidently missed a stash by 10 minutes at a yard sale yesterday. And the 'nice' fabric I have bought at the LQS, I'm afraid to use for fear I will mess it up! I'm sure my day is coming though.
    Old 04-16-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Plain Jane
    Nothing. I'm just getting started and haunting thrift shops and yard sales trying to find cheap fabrics and books and supplies. Not too much luck, though I evidently missed a stash by 10 minutes at a yard sale yesterday. And the 'nice' fabric I have bought at the LQS, I'm afraid to use for fear I will mess it up! I'm sure my day is coming though.
    Rethink! You can't mess up fabric. It's made to be cut and sewn back together. This means if you are making a quilt or garment, and you miscut (my word for measuring incorrectly and cutting) you just drop the miscut into the scrap basket. Problem solved. I've run out of fabric because of miscuts, but some of those were on purpose......my husband hates it when I'm upset, so as soon as I get upset for miscutting something, he says let's go to the store. Just love that man!
    Old 04-16-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by moreland
    Double Knits -- all colors and kinds left over from my dressmaking days--I seem to have bought a lot of it before my brain caught up with the fact I was not making clothes anymore. Anyone have an idea of who would want it???
    I used to make a lot of dresses out of double knit when it was in style and I used to scraps to make quilts for the boys beds. I just sewed blocks together, nothing fancy, and used flannel or an old blanket for the backing and tied it. It doesn't need batting. They are so warm and wash well. I still have one after about 40 years. LOL If you don't want them, I'm sure the homeless shelter or some charity would love them.

That could be a good project for a church group or just several friends to get together and make the quilts.
    sassy granny
    Old 04-16-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
    Originally Posted by Plain Jane
    Rethink! You can't mess up fabric. It's made to be cut and sewn back together. This means if you are making a quilt or garment, and you miscut (my word for measuring incorrectly and cutting) you just drop the miscut into the scrap basket. Problem solved. I've run out of fabric because of miscuts, but some of those were on purpose......my husband hates it when I'm upset, so as soon as I get upset for miscutting something, he says let's go to the store. Just love that man!
    Thank you! I needed to hear that. :)
    Old 04-17-2011, 03:49 AM

[quote=sassy granny]
    Originally Posted by moreland
    Double Knits -- all colors and kinds left over from my dressmaking days--I seem to have bought a lot of it before my brain caught up with the fact I was not making clothes anymore. Anyone have an idea of who would want it???
    The women of my church use all types of fabrics to make tied quilts for Lutheran World Relief. Double knits are especially nice because of their warmth and durability.
    These quilts are sent all over the world to folks experiencing poverty and disasters. We are always looking for fabric for tops and backings as well as used blankets for batting.