Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Trying to get organized >
  • Trying to get organized

• Trying to get organized

Old 01-13-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tsanchez
    Hello all. I saw in a thread earlier today where someone was posting all the fabric and projects they had going on. I didn't think it was appropriate for me to post pictures of what I have done so far. The pictures show just two shelves. I'm not showing lower than those because, well, you can't walk in much less find the floor. The clear plastic boxes on the top shelf are 13 gallon tubs and I have a total of 35 of them full of fabric. Then I have 42 20 gallon tubs (the ones that take two people to carry empty) full of fabric that is in the garage right now because I don't have room to go through them right now. The small cubes are 8 x 12 inches and there are three others behind each one.
    Wow ! o.k. so when does your new quilt shop open so we can all come and browse around. lol. By the way we are from neighboring states, so the drive should n't be too far! lol
    Old 01-13-2011, 09:38 PM

:shock: WOW, how cool, I am just getting my stuff all together, its going to take a while since I own my own business and work about 50-60 hours a week, you make me want to get my whole stash together in one placed just to see how big it really is. By the way I have a lot of family in New Mexico, some good fabric shops there :lol:
    Old 01-13-2011, 10:17 PM

Awesome Stash , I wish I had known back in my younger days that I would've been doing Quilts for I would've had a stash
    like yours if I had only known back then, but now find myself on a fixed income, so glad you started yours earlier :D :thumbup:
    Old 01-13-2011, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tsanchez
    What's pictures isn't even 1/10 of what I have. Not all quilting fabric. Now that I am on a fixed income, I can't go and buy fabric so I'm glad I now have this. I bought most of this from my local quilt shop. Every Saturday Mike, one of the owners, gets blind folded and he goes around the shop and picks 13 bolts of fabric. They are then 30% off until the following Saturday when he does it all over again.

And my husband thinks he is married to the only woman on this earth with a large fabric stash!!! He says it is an incurable disease.

I have bought fabric since I was 8 years old when I spent my pocket money on fabric to make dolls clothes.
    Old 01-14-2011, 12:13 AM

gosh thats a lotta fabric
    Old 01-14-2011, 04:13 AM

Yikes! Now that's a stash! And so well organized. I see orange in there. My stash has NO orange and I need 1 1/4 yd. for tomorrow. We're doing an orange charm swap at our guild meeting. Guess I'll be dropping in at the LQS this afternoon.
    Old 01-14-2011, 04:36 AM

My hubby and I are planning a trip to NM next month. Can I come visit?????
    Old 01-14-2011, 06:51 AM

How did your husband respond to tubs in the garage :?: How much space do you have if you could see the floor :?: How long have you been quilting :?: You are my hero :XD: :XD:
    Old 01-14-2011, 07:09 AM

Must be nice to have all that material to choose from. I have a limited supply. I had a lady tell me a couple of months ago that she was going to give me what was left in her Mother's sewing room since her mother had recently passed. Well, I'm still waiting on that and now I lost my husband on Christmas day so I know my supply will not be what is use to be so I will have to be conservative and creative. That is why I like scrap quilting the best.
    Old 01-14-2011, 07:17 AM

Some friendly advice I read recently. Fabric needs to be washed before it is stored. Chemicals in the manufacturing process slowly degrade the fabric. If not washed, after 5 plus years some fabrics will actually shred when you finally wash them. I am not speaking from my experience but from the experience of quilters this has happened to who were kind enough to share this with me. :)