Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Trying something different, questions??? >
  • Trying something different, questions???

• Trying something different, questions???

Old 06-02-2011, 10:09 AM

I have a midarm machine on a Grace quilt frame, & instead of just doing free motion, or meandering, I would like to some quilting within the blocks, then the free motion on the background strips. It's a D9p top I did, around 50in, sq., so not a big quilt, but good size to play on. I used some floral print fqs, with a few batik ones, then a tone on tone white for background (the long strips). So, question,... I want to do the blocks in a color, the white in white. Do I do all the blocks & work my way, in rows across, to fill the quilt, then go back & do the white, free motion? Guess I am curious how some of you do this when machine quilting on a frame? Any help would appreciated!...Thanks!
    Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 AM
    Power Poster

I have yet to do quilting in more than one color thread. It would depend on how fussy your machine is about changing threads and will you use the same bobbin color throughout or change bobbin colors too?

I think I would be inclined to do my detail color quilting first then go back and do all my background quilting. I have a LA but I think the principal is still the same of the quilt being set up on the rack, it is just that you indicated you have a midarm so I don't know if turning the quilt is involved with your set up.
    Old 06-02-2011, 04:50 PM

My frame is a Grace Mini Pinn with 3 rails, so yes, I turn. Am thinking, it's no big deal, turning them back, or forward, just haven't tried quilting a quilt this way yet. Seen alot that Chrisma & others on here have done, like this, so am curious. Thanks for your input, & yes, one color in bobbin, for backside. So I would just have to change the top thread the one time, I am thinking...